ProfTournesol

Patching ArmA2/ OA freezes my PC

Well i'm so puzzled...

Here's my system :

i7920 not OC (HT off)

6Go RAM

Brand new HD 5870 from Asus

Windows 7 64 (upgrade from Vista64), Dx11

It seems that since i'm on Seven, i can install ArmA2 BUT i can't apply any patch without geting a freeze (the "famous" bluish vertical lines and PC freeze from ATI series 5). I got crash with my previous card too (HD4870x2) when applying the latest patch 1.55. And so i can't install OA neither as it tries to install 1.06 patch, then freezes.

Any ideas :confused: before i throw my comp out of the window (seven...).

Wow, that sounds fuk*d up.

Hopefully you are installing them "as admin", if so, I would try lowering all visual settings in Performance Options just for the patches. Maybe that will release what ever strain it seems to be having.

Thanks for the answer, still no luck. I'm really pissed off. I tried so many things these last days that i can't see what i can do anymore apart from a nervous breakdown, my desktop is full of testing program icons :confused:

Various tests performed :

OCCT (CPU/GPU/PSU stress test) => no troubles

Everest stability test => no troubles

Memtest (two pass on each ram stick, remove them one by one etc.) => no errors

Registry cleaning

windows scannow => some errors detected, but after further investigatings, no obvious problem

Safe boot disabling non windows services => same problems occur when patching :ill:

The strange thing is that now it doesn't freeze anymore but BSOD when patching, with or without crash dump, and the crash dumps talk about :

UNEXPECTED KERNEL MODE TRAP

OR KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED

OR SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION

OR PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA

I'm about to sacrifice some small animals or stop breathing if i can't patch the game anymore :smash:

When you get crash dumps, send them to dwarden. His email is dwarden (a) bistudio.com. That's the fastest way to help BIS fix the things that are causing you trouble.

You should send all three files to him (arma2.bidmp,arma2.RPT,arma2.mdmp)

He loves those!

-OP

When you get crash dumps, send them to dwarden. His email is dwarden (a) bistudio.com. That's the fastest way to help BIS fix the things that are causing you trouble.

You should send all three files to him (arma2.bidmp,arma2.RPT,arma2.mdmp)

He loves those!

-OP

Well, i ain't got trouble with the game itself but with the patching process, so those ArmA crash dumps aren't even generated by this crash. My crash dumps are only generated by Windows cause it crashes the system.

In fact, i'd like to know what piece of hardware / software are manipulated during the patching process, to narrow my problem. The RAM and hard disk have already been carefully checked.