Sign in to follow this  
varjo

My cd is broken, what to do?

I have the orig. game and CD-key but now suddenly my CD got somehow broken, i don't know how it happened but i can't recall whether it was accident or did it broke by itself.

I've had the game for like 9 months and played a lot, most of the time the CD has been in Cd-drive of my computer.

Now it has a little crack from the centre to the edge. I mean crack as it is true crack, the whole cd is broken in that part of disk. My CD-driver can't read the disk properly and it identifies the CD as audio CD.

I don't know what to do, by new disk, crack the .exe, or what? Ok the IL will be out at summer but will it need the orig. cd as well as RH.

Call Codemasters and ask them about their CD replacement policy. It should be cheaper than buying a new CD unless you can find a used copy (maybe on Ebay).

erm... dont you have a guarantee for that??? i mean.. you spend like 50dlls for some carton printed and some burned cd... basically

they should send ya a new cd while you send your one the scratched one

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (martin_hucke @ May 06 2002,06:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">erm... dont you have a guarantee for that? i mean.. you spend like 50dlls for some carton printed and some burned cd... basically

they should send ya a new cd while you send your one the scratched one<span id='postcolor'>

I know of no other software company that sends out CDs before they get your original copy first.

Warantees are usually for materials and good for 90 days, generally speaking.

And, if the crack is the purchasers fault, it's not covered by warantee altogther.

Standard stuff.

For the CD u have right avon....

but u forgot something that Lawyer can call the "dematerialisation of the object"(no that's not a illness Zach&Wobble) .....i explain:

When u buy a programm, u buy the support (the CD), and a licence of use(a specialized contract if u prefer).The license of use is the thing that permit u to DL and patch the game without having to pay anymore, or to play online free(if there's a fee to online game it's normally put into the initial contract of buy).

Well i guess he can ask BIS to replace the CD i guess but he mustnt pay the same amount as the entire game (he own the licence even if the CD is broken)... And like Avon said i cannot believe that it ll be free, becse u are out of warantee and you are faulty (by example the pb with the bad OPF golden edition CD, fee was taken by BIS for changing the CD, because it was directly or indirectly their fault).

I guess u should contact BIS to have more precise info about the fee they ll take for the replacement.

*Note: i write this in knowledge of the general principle of Law in international private Law... i guess there's no major exception in Czech 's Law becse it belong to the same kind of Law family as mine (written/roman Law for info)*

Good luck

I accidently dammaged my CD. OFP didnt work very well so I went to the store and bought me the Gold Edition. I thought it was worth it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (jawk @ May 06 2002,08:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">*Note: i write this in knowledge of the general principle of Law in international private Law... i guess there's no major exception in Czech 's Law becse it belong to the same kind of Law family as mine (written/roman Law for info)*

Good luck<span id='postcolor'>

Czech law does not matter here, since the contract is between the publisher Codemasters and you. And Codemasters is a british company, afaik.

depends... in an international contract you can specify which Law ll rule the contract (more u can specify different Laws for all the part in the trial... law of competence, law of procedural way, law for closure acts in trial, law for the end of the litigae... ect ect contract are free that's what caracterize mostly the contract, it's "the rule of those who made it"). I just checked the Czech Law for simplify smile.gif

thanks for answers and i will try now three things:

#1 My friend copies his CD and I'll re-install the game using my CD-key. Will this activate Fade? Hope not

#2 Crack the .exe and hope that there won't be any new patches to OFP. Fade problem?

#3 Contact Bis/Codemasters...i am willing to pay little fee, not much more than the cost of CD and shipping~like 5-10€ or something.

Like someone said, the cd is just a method to bring the software i bought to me. It shouldn't be a problem to get new one. After all when i buy the game i pay for the game not for painted piece of aluminum and plastic or whatever CD:s are made for.