Sign in to follow this  
bracer

Arma1 buildings

Hey mates!

I'm trying to figure out how to get some of the missing buildings from Arma1 into my Arma2 map (http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=108077).

For example the Hotel that Shezan uses in his Fallujah map.

One solution is of course to make my map require CAA1 or Fallujah, but I don't wanna do that. Since I only want a couple of the buildings.

So, can someone explain how I get just one or two buildings from A1 into my A2 map? Any guide somewhere that I have missed?

Best regards

You'll need to make your own objects pack, bracer - just like the fallujah objects .pbo, or the ones that come with quite a few other user islands... pick one of these and open it up - see whats involved...

Basically its a folder with the models, plus probably a data folder for the textures... a config.cpp and probably a model.cfg file as well... you need to make your own...

First step is to get the Arma 1 sample models - I don't have a link immediately to hand, but a quick search should turn it up (ZeroG's resource sticky in this section maybe?) - the one you want is "sample environment other" I think... find the models you need and drop them into your newly created bracerobjects folder

They're mlod models so you can load them into O2 and see what texture, etc files are required - if you have Arma 1 dig out the disk and get the textures, otherwise CAA1 - put them in the Data folder...

At this point you want to "tag" all these models and texture, etc files.... change every "texturename01.paa" to "bracer_texturename01.paa" - use anything you want - just make them your own in some way - this avoids conflicts with other peoples objectpacks, just in case they didn't retag...

OK - models one at a time now opened in O2 - repath all the textures to the newly named ones in their new location - save each model and do them all

Thats it... Now you need to make a matching config.cpp and - depending on the models used you might need a model.cfg as well - look at the original ones in the Arma1 buildings .pbo where you got the textures - that'll get you started, then I suggest you do a bit of reading in the O2 and addons scripting sections - each config will be suited to the models you use so again - look at other peoples...

That should get all the models in game - however, you might then want to look at the rvmats, maybe fool with the textures... it's not too difficult to tweak things a little - make the hotel or whatever look a bit different - something as simple as a little colour change on the textures can make a familiar model look good all over again...

To use in visitor - drop your bracerobjects (or whatever) folder directly on your P:\ drive - add objects in Visitor from that location and use as normal...

For in-game - just PBO that bracerobjects folder and drop it in the modfolder with the island...

Make "bracerobjects" a required addon in your island config...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

Wow! Thanks man!

That answered many of my questions.

I have the sample objects and textures needed. I will give it another try and let you know how it goes!

Thanks again for the extensive answer!

No problema bracer...

It's all pretty straightforward - which isn't to say that you won't have all the usual endless struggle with picky wee config hassles... but thats the nature of the beast anyway :D

The single most important bit is probably that "retagging" thing... this is nothing to do with "claiming ownership" or "authorship"... we all know what Arma 1 stuff looks like - down to the last Vertex :) - its all about conflicts... you have no idea how many peoples island configs I've waded thru, only to find that their ground textures are still called "cr_trava" and thats why they have no grass - or they have, but suddenly Cherno doesn't!

Model conflicts are usually more subtle and harder to spot, so its a good idea to get compulsive about the tagging thing, specially now you're venturing into the "commonly used models" area... nip over to OFPEC and register your chosen tag, prefix all models, textures and rvmats you use in all areas with that tag... It might not always be necessary and it's a slight hassle I guess, but it might just save some bug-hunting later on...

Good luck

B