Sign in to follow this  
barret

nice lil airplane

I think a good air plane for ofp is the C-130 heurcules. It goes slow enough to not fly the island in 10 min, and they really use it for special ops. No realism lost there smile.gif

I love the C-130, its a great aircraft. Roughly 5 a day rattle our windowpains (live under a military flight path), but I don't see their purpose in OFP. They are huge and the runways in the game are too short for take off, there is also no place to fly too once you have taken off.

I am not the type to complain if we get one though. In fact we may get one with the VBS addon disc in April/March. Maybe it would be better as a scenery addon, like the LST?

Yeah that would be wicked, i would be making para missions all the time. The airport are also big enough for it

jubjubbird,

If those runways are long enough for A-10 to takeoff, then it would be less than a routine for C-130.

(Edited by Fishu at 8:41 pm on Dec. 30, 2001)

sounds cool to me can't have enough addons hehe better they add an Huey aswell

The runways are more than large enough.

The C-130 was designed to take off from tempory runways such as jungle clearings and stuff.

A while ago some one measured the runways on both the islands and said that according to the C-130s spec it wouldhave plenty of room

Nice one Barret, this is the 1st time on this forum that I've seen someone suggest a reasonable, realistic and easily applicable addon vehicle.

*(Also, I hadn't thought of that:) )

Yeah, I think its a good idea, the runways ARE big enuff, plus it's a slow enuff plane to use in OFP.

Also, it could be used purely for eye-candy, like the LST, or in cutscenes: Imagine one where a bunch of Paras drop onto the airfield in Everon.

[sound of drooling]

awllllllllll smile.gifsmile.gif)smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from madmike on 8:06 pm on Dec. 30, 2001

The runways are more than large enough.

The C-130 was designed to take off from tempory runways such as jungle clearings and stuff.

A while ago some one measured the runways on both the islands and said that according to the C-130s spec it wouldhave plenty of room

<span id='postcolor'>

Actually you're right, they were designed to be able to do that...what was I thinking...feeling stupid and very very small...

I think it could take off and if it couldn't you could give it those JATO rockets to help it take off on short runways. I dont know if alot of C-130's have those but that Fat Albert Blue Angels one does.

No worries Jub Jub Bird, I thought it could be used alot in the game for droping supplies off and stuff.

Also is there anywhere flat enough to make a second airfield on and of the islands?

Actually that is an addon I was wanting also, so we'd be able to do para drop airborn ranger missions. Also, they don't need runways, the c-130's are very tough planes and they land them in the sand or any flat ground all the time. Look at the history channel and Operation Eagle Claw or somethng like that where Jimmy Carter(probably the second worst president we've had, right behind good ol' Slick Willy) screwed up a Delta Force raid in the Iran hostage crisis. They landed C-130s on the ground there. Another Addon I'd like to se are inflatable Zodiac(or somethingsimilar) rafts for ding SEAL paradrops in the water and for pilots when they eject over the water, which happens quite often because of the speed of the plaens and the small size of the islands. They could havea little infaltable raft drop out like in real life.

Crispy

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from madmike on 9:20 pm on Dec. 30, 2001

No worries Jub Jub Bird, I thought it could be used alot in the game for droping supplies off and stuff.

Also is there anywhere flat enough to make a second airfield on and of the islands?

<span id='postcolor'>

There is a hanger and very flat land on the island in Malden grid reference Ae05 and surrounding area. There is one runway, unfortunately it is positioned really badly and actually slides off to one side down a hill. But you could using some sort of addon paveover the whole area I am sure or use it to land a Herc on.

I know about that island and the terrible runway( i can never take off without my plane exploding).

Is there anywhere else? Ive had a good look but cant find anything good enough

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from madmike on 10:25 pm on Dec. 30, 2001

I know about that island and the terrible runway( i can never take off without my plane exploding).

Is there anywhere else? Ive had a good look but cant find anything good enough

<span id='postcolor'>

I know.

there is are 2 roads that I sometimes use on Kolgujev.

One runs along the north west of the island, running east from the town near to Gubas house.

The other is on the south-west of the island and runs along a really long straight bit of shore.

Both of these I have been able to land planes on.

Also don't foret the "GUN SHIP VARIENT" OF THE C-130

and how exactly would you do that, theyve only got about 2 miniguns and a howitzer? If that were true you could bnlow up all three with an apache

A plane that could be included also would be the c17, which infact has a landing distance smaller than that oif the herc, however theyre barely in service yet but it would look really cool.

And if we are going tro have a herc wed have to have a russian one such as a il76 candid

it would seem a bit empty inside however with room for ~100 troops

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Miles on 9:38 pm on Dec. 31, 2001

and how exactly would you do that, theyve only got about 2 miniguns and a howitzer?  If that were true you could bnlow up all three with an apache

<span id='postcolor'>

Daisy Cutter? Maybe these are not standard weapony for the AC-130s but they sure as #### have used thme in the past.

I think adding the russian "BEAR" IL-29(not sure on the number) but that is a bomber plane which led to the delevopment of the F-14 Tom cat. This plane shares the propeller power(or so some of the modles do) which makes go slow enought, and it only holds bombs, no troups.