Sign in to follow this  
bfcrusader

Weapons Speculations

Do you guys think that there will be new armaments types for Mantas, Walruses and the Carrier itself? Will there perhaps be more specialized missiles for Mantas for instance. Air to Air missiles (wont lock onto ground targets) and AG missiles/rockets?

Will the Walruses have more Anti-Air capability? Perhaps a mountable, controllable cannon that can be fired in any direction while on the move?

Will there be more hardpoints for Mantas and Walruses to mount their respective types of loadouts?

Any thoughts?

Got to remember the original was so tiny compared to today’s games. I’d be really surprised and disappointed if they did not go to town with different armament. Its not based on real world tech like say a battlefield game so they can do anything.

I think the real fun is if you can build your own ship by spec.

I really don’t think we will be limited to one air and land/sea vehicle type.

Then perhaps there will be research and development? Perhaps there will be islands you can devote to research, along with the other classic Defense, Resource and Factory islands. The more islands you have for research, the more items you can develop and/or in less time.

That would be an awesome feature in this game I think

Shocking I have forgotten about the islands!

If you attack and destroy a research island it would set back the time on development – I like that idea. I’d like early warning buildings etc and cap patrols all working away. You really could go to town.

Early warning systems and especially CAP patrols would be features of a Defense island I think. However, EWS (Early Warning System) could be researched to be first available for defense islands and then later for the rest.

Come to think of it, it would be interesting to have research and development for the other islands' effectiveness. I.e. upgrades for factory islands to produce faster, resource islands to generate more and so on.

And then the defensive structures of each island, not to mention defense island ones, could be researched. First a general all purpose light cannon emplacement or something and then AA launchers and AG launchers and finally AC (Anti-Carrier) launchers or something like that.

Making an investment for that would pay off in the long run if you set either before other developments.

And it just occurred to me, should we have resource points, production points as well as research points which you spend as they become available?

Be good if you could set up supply links and have actual other vessels controlled by the Ai from island to island. A main supply craft to the Carrier so you would have to possibly delay an attack because you’ve pushed your supply lines too far. if the link is attacked and an island lost the other islands might have to rely on stores if there line back was lost.

I remember there was a supply drone thing in the original.

Supply vehicles that you could intercept sound excellent. The more strategical options you get, the better. Definitely preferable to just getting resources directly into your storage like Age of Empires 3 had.

A way to customise vehicles would also be great, like in Battlezone 2 or even better, Warzone 2100. BZ2 allowed you to equip vehicles with different kinds of weapons.

Warzone 2100 on the other hand allowed you to assign different types of chassis', tyres or tracks, turrets and weapons to a vehicle.

Depending on what you selected, the vehicle became more costly to create. In that sense, you could have cheap, weak builder units or builder units which were more heavily armoured becoming more costly so you could have less of them but you could send them directly to the front lines to build defenses under the nose of the enemy.

As for other weapons, BIS could do whatever they want.

I guess this one wouldnt make much sense in this game, but i loved the Thumper in Battlezone 1, which basically made your weapon create a mini-earthquake which would thrust enemy ships up into the air when for example they were hiding behind a ridge or inside a crater.

While I love the idea of completely customizable vehicles, I find it hard to believe they'd go any further than the types/amounts of weapons and ammo you could fit onto any of the already existing vehicles you get in the game.

But that's just what I think, BIS might just surprise us all with the end product :)

I really have fallen behind in games, not played a real PC game in well over a year. I hope it all works out and the longer the better if it means a better game. I’m a bit biased as I’ve got an old nearly six year old system, so if its next summer I’ll be happy as it would not getting bought before that and a new system is in place.

One thing I do want is an easy way to set up a CAP for the Ship even with the Ai landing to re-arm and fuel to take off again to continue the CAP....

Edited by sav112g

These would then be like an airborne, offensive version of the carrier defense drones, is that what you're thinking?

I think because the original and I even have it sitting beside me, well in the press next to the PC that they really can go to town with firstly the amount you can include and how Ai in games has got so much better.

I want the whole experience!

I want to fly air to air and Air to ground missions, Land on beaches under fire and recede into the heart of the ship with its defensive countermeasures and offensive armament all from a modern communications, navigation and driving systems nerve centre.

You cant see past the ship not having Sea to Ground (tomahawk) like missiles, satellites and quick fighters.

But to answer the question, a system to set up C.A.P round your ship I don’t think would be a big ask and I’d expect it. if its Drones then s long as they do there job i'll be happy:D