Sign in to follow this  
Cloney

Lbe or lbv

I know some people here are in the American/Candian/Dutch/German/British militarys and I was wondering what you guys think about LBEs and Vests. Seems like most countries are moving to vests.

Hmm,

it depends on the accessability of item on a vest/ harness and the possible customisable configurations, i.e. how modular it is and how many different items, varying in size and weight, can be attached to it.

A good vest is better than a bad constructed load bearing harness and vice versa.

Although i do not quite understand what is considered a vest and a loadbearing harness in the U.S., as the difference becomes not quite clear when visiting this page:

http://www.lightfighter.com/generic.html?pid=23

what is considered a vest here looks awfully like a "normal" harness like we wear them.

I can't comment on the vest(we use LBE)...and as a tanker, the first thing we do is take off the LBE when we climb on the vehicle smile.gif

The LBV looks a little limiting compared to the LBE....if you are wearing your flak jacket and rucksack, how are you supposed to access any equipment?? With the LBE, everything is pretty much accessible on the belt and shoulder straps. I can see the advantage of the vest being to spread the weight better - but if you wear the LBE correctly, all the weight is on your shoulders anyway....

Same as a tanker - we go into combat wearing a spall vest, balaclava, nomex, cooling vest, and shoulder hoster. There's not enough room in the tank to wear all that crap the way it is....and they want to add another vest on top of it all???

I have used both the west and harness.

Good things about the west.

-You can put water, ammo, food, NVGs, binos, radio, maps, clothes, camera, knife, baton, camo net, candy or coke into it without having to rebuild it every time. This might also be a drawback because it can get quite heavy if you are not careful.

-Snow doesn't get into it as easely. This probably has everything to do with badly designed pouches for the harness.

I have not used a harness with body armour, but I can't imagine it being any better than using a vest

This might have been coloured by the fact that I have served in the Norwegian army, and used a harness that I think was once part of the Marshall aid.

I prefer the LBV. It is more comfortable than the previously issued LBE. Although it can give you some nasty heat rash in a hot climate.