Sign in to follow this  
legion7698

Mipmap errors. What are the causes?

Hey all,

So I've been doing a few basic models here and there and the main problem I generally have is texturing. Most the textures I try and use for almost anything give me the error of cannot load mipmap. I know about the compression issue and correct sizes but I'm wandering if there is other things that can cause this issue.

I have tried images off the net and also ones taken from my camera and its random which ones work. Although the ones from my camera never work. So after a while of trying to figure out what could be causing this problem I thought I'd ask.

It could be that it is just the compression and they were compressed before I got my hands on them but as far as I know my camera dosn't compress them. Although I could be wrong about the camera as I'm not a bright spark wth all this stuff.

Regards,

LEGION7698.

What formats do you use? do you have the right size on the textures, how do you compress the textures?

STGN

I usually open the picture with photoshop in whatever format I got it in, usually jpeg. I then resize it to the correct size such as 64, 128 and all the others. once done I save it as a TGA with compression off and as a 32bit. I then covert it using textview2.

Regards,

LEGION7698.

.....I then covert it using textview2.

Regards,

LEGION7698.

Theres your problem your making arma textures which can't be used by OFP. Instead theres several other options. Paatool, PaNtool, textview(old version), kegetys plugin for photoshop and the like. I use PaN tool and the plug-in myself.

STGN

Cheers for that. I thought since some work that it was fine to use so I will try to use the older one or one of the ones you reccomended.

regards,

LEGION7698.

Hm. Ok so I tested a few of the textures that gave me the mipmap error and its gone. However they either now dont load up when I try to texture them or bulldozer just shows the area as white. Now since some textures, even when I used textview 2, work I'm assuming that o2 and bulldozer and all of that is set up correctly and I always double check the sizes before saving I'm at a loss as to why they dont work.

So if I go through the process of one of the textures I want perhaps someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I take the picture using my camera (Kodak C813) and transfer it to my computer (in JPEG format). I then open it in adobe photoshop and make any alterations such as cropping it. I then resize it to the right size (64,128 etc.) and save it as a TGA (I use photoshop 7 so I have the plug-in that allows alpha channals). I then open it with a conversion program (used to be textview 2 but now I've tried both Textview 1 and paatool) and save it as a paa. I then put it into my addon folder while also making sure the names not to long and try to open it in o2.

Now some textures off the net will work but others wont and any from my camera wont work no matter what. So since no one else seems to have the same problems (unless there doing something like the wrong sizes) if the posts on this forum are anything to go by. I'll assume that there's something obvious that I'm doing wrong but I'm just to dopy to see it.

Regards,

LEGION7698.

I use Texview2 for OFP normally i never had problem but with a old project lately i start to have mipmap errors.

Is there a link towards the older version of Texview?

I highly recommend paatool for converting to paa and pac.

The resulting images are superior to the ones produced by texview.

:)

Hey all,

Cheers for the links and advice. I'm still not getting the images from my camera to work. Although they do work if I desaturate them but black and white would look rather silly for what I'm doing. Any help with this would be great.

Regards,

LEGION7698.

Try to postersize to only 256 or lower colors.

STGN

Hey STGN,

Sorry for the late reply. I managed to get it working thanks to your help, cheers.

Regards,

LEGION7698.