Sign in to follow this  
Hank Rearden

Transport Pilot Side Missions

Ok, so suffice it to say I have a mission in the works which sees a Ranger Rifle Platoon being deployed to an FOB in a hotly contested valley. Their ride to the fight is 2x CH47 Chinooks and their overwatch comes in the form of an AH64D Apache Longbow. I've drawn most of my force organization straight from the field manuals and have created a very realistic setting for the mission. It is a simple 6 objective mission.

1. Cross LOD

2. Make Scheduled Halt at OBJ1 (manually verify target structure)

3. Make Scheduled Halt at OBJ2 (manually verify target structure)

4. Make Scheduled Halt at OBJ3 (manually verify target structure)

5. Return to FOB and relay verification, issuing 15 minute warning AM radio broadcast to civilian valley residents.

6. Verify that civilians/friendlies have completely cleared target zones and 'clear hot' AI F35 JDAM strikes.

The patrol is conducted on foot. The initial deployment by air simply moves the ranger platoon from the airfield at Loy Manara to the staffed FOB. They are not living at the FOB, just using it as an OP for their presence patrol in the valley. Rangers are being deployed due to recently observed takiban movement.

I think there is enough in the mission to keep the AH64 pilot entertained. Since the spawns are limited (largest being 9 men with maxed skill in an 'ambush' from buildings) I have given the AH64 two mountaintop 'strongholds' which are outfitted with both competent AA units and lots of explodey stuff to satisfy his bloodlust while the infantry is making their slow arduous trek through hostile IED infested countryside.

My issue arises in keeping the Chinook pilots entertained. I could make some kind of CAS bird or a second Apache available to them but to be quite honest, that seems too 'gamey' for my tastes. I want the chinook pilots (and all 3 gunners) to actually perform the duty they signed on for. I have devised a brutally difficult (but not impossible) helipad at the FOB, which involves landing the chinook on a slope in a H-Barrier enclosed area only 20m longer than the helicopter itself. I can complete the landing in both first and third person both with significant time to maneuver and under consistent small arms or anti-aircraft fire. I know that it is possible but it is also very easy for a nervous, twitchy or careless pilot to completely botch. I am trying to envision some kind of relatively easily coded side mission that might involve repeated landings by both Chinook pilots on said helipad. There is JIP and Respawn in the mission but between the odd CASEVAC and a few sporadic JIPs I'm not certain whether the pilots will really have enough to do.

So, that being said... what do you suggest I provide to entertain 2xpilots and 6x door/rear gunners for the duration of a Ranger Rifle platoon foot patrol?

Maybe a civilian evacuation of a village that has come under fire somewhere or is in line to get JDAM'd , pick up the civies, drop them at some FOB or FARP for their safety, then return to the hot LZ to pick up the troops you inserted earlier.

SD

I think you'll struggle to keep the Chinook crew entertained (i'd personally leave them as AI or optional), but you could come up with extra tasks for the pilot.

Could have an emergency CASEVAC unrelated to the mission crop up, say an IED strike on a convoy. Could be required to hitch in multiple supply runs to the FOB.

Depending on what injury system you're using, the troops on the ground may need a CASEVAC mission at any moment, or they may just need a resupply if they get into heavy contact.

Maybe a civilian evacuation of a village that has come under fire somewhere or is in line to get JDAM'd , pick up the civies, drop them at some FOB or FARP for their safety, then return to the hot LZ to pick up the troops you inserted earlier.

SD

...use a 35 million dollar piece of equipment to pluck some dirt farmers out of harm's way? The only reason they do the AM radio warning is the tired 'hearts and minds' schtick, or so they can claim due diligence was observed in regard to Geneva Convention responsibilities when the JDAM hits a kindergarten.

Unless you have some kind of portable airport type security and are prepared to do 60(to 120) cavity searches for folk who have never seen a doctor (or a gynecologist) it would be insanity to let one of those people anywhere near an aircraft, let alone inside it. That's more for Vietnam where you could tell how much the locals hated you based on whether they tried to kill you or flee the moment they saw you.

But uhh... you're on the right track I guess.

I think you'll struggle to keep the Chinook crew entertained (i'd personally leave them as AI or optional), but you could come up with extra tasks for the pilot.

Could have an emergency CASEVAC unrelated to the mission crop up, say an IED strike on a convoy. Could be required to hitch in multiple supply runs to the FOB.

Depending on what injury system you're using, the troops on the ground may need a CASEVAC mission at any moment, or they may just need a resupply if they get into heavy contact.

Have to have at least the crew chief or co-pilot to direct the pilot on tight approaches, since the server I'm making this for has restricted 3rd person view outright. The helicopter is a little long to bring down entirely blind.

Injury system is ACE2 but I've never actually seen someone have to be CASEVACed and I've been playing A2 since the day it was released. I only wish that would happen more often.

As to resupply, logistics is a valid point but even a full platoon employing good sustained fires on contact will need at most a single airborne resupply and I have two Chinooks up (necessary to fit a full Ranger Platoon). Hence why I'm headaching over what to do with my pilots other than have them circle like idiots and get shot at with SA7s.

Edited by Hank Rearden

They could bring in ammo for someone else other than the player's platoon.

You could have them go back to base to pick up mortars or some kind of support weapon. Use the attachto command to stick them in the back when the player gets close enough for a long enough period of time.

As others have said some kind of medevac type thing.

Fly a high ranking officer from one FOB to another with small skirmishes on the way.

Force a crash landing. Pilots need to defend the crash site until a convoy gets there.

Maybe you can find something here.

Pick-Up a nearby special forces team.