Sign in to follow this  
DeclaredEvol

ArmA 2 Performance Problems with v1.07

I recently installed the v1.07 and it became a total mistake. Before I installed the patch the game was running magnificently fine at all times. But now, even with the graphics on low it will run smooth but every 10 seconds the game will begin to move choppy for another 5-10 seconds. And suddenly become smooth again, but this like I said is constant. And it isn't very pleasing to try and play a mission with the performance issues I am getting. I notice that whenever I look up into the sky it all just stops. And even with ArmA 2 running on max graphics it runs smooth but does the same thing. It seems like the game isn't really written to process all of the rendering and particles and effects at the same time. From what I have seen up till now, my computer is almost 100% perfect. Whether or not my video isn't the best, it runs excellent. So I am just wondering if I can tweak this performance issue and make it run better. Hopefully not having to buy more hardware.

System Specs

Nvidia 9800gtx+

AMD Phenom ii x4 965 black edition [quad core at 3.6ghz]

8gb DDR2 memory

Thermal take BADASS case with [3]23cm fans and one small LCD in the front

ASUS Motherboard

Rocketfish 5.1 Sound FX Card

Two Dell speakers and a bass modifier

Thermal Take 700watt power supply

Windows 7 RC 64 bit Ultimate [Cracked]

3 Hard Drives [1]System [2]Software [3]Games [Kinda old hard drives, I don't know the disk speed]

and a small 1240x1024 dell monitor that is kind of out dated

Edited by DeclaredEvol

Have you tried the switches -cpuCount and -exThreads ?

I think by default 1.07 uses -cpuCount=4 and -exThreads=7

Perhaps try 2 for cpu and 0, 1, 3 or 5 for exThreads

Its a long shot but worth a try...

hey all,

Since installing 1.07 I have the exact same problem..

In 1.05 the game ran very smoothly and generally never had problems with lag (settings medium).

Since 1.07 I get that at first the game runs fine then once every minute or so it starts to lag incredibly and after a minute it runs fine again. It does not seem to be affected by the graphics settings.

System specs:

Cpu: Amd x2 64 5400

Mem: 2 gig ram

Gpu: radeon 4850

Hd: 2 maxtor 80Gb and a wd 320 gb

hey all,

Since installing 1.07 I have the exact same problem..

In 1.05 the game ran very smoothly and generally never had problems with lag (settings medium).

Since 1.07 I get that at first the game runs fine then once every minute or so it starts to lag incredibly and after a minute it runs fine again. It does not seem to be affected by the graphics settings.

System specs:

Cpu: Amd x2 64 5400

Mem: 2 gig ram

Gpu: radeon 4850

Hd: 2 maxtor 80Gb and a wd 320 gb

Yes, and I am not sure it has anything to do with thread's or cpu's. In fact the more thread's and cpu's the better the game should run. I recommend ignoring patches if your game is already running well. Because they always mess something else up. I figured this new patch was as good as new... maybe we need to report this to the Support Team of Bohemia Interactive. This is actually a important issue in performance to fix guys, so don't ignore this subject. I am sure me and Alexc are not the only ones having this problem, we are just the only ones posting this here on the forums.

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

Have you tried the switches -cpuCount and -exThreads ?

I think by default 1.07 uses -cpuCount=4 and -exThreads=7

Perhaps try 2 for cpu and 0, 1, 3 or 5 for exThreads

Its a long shot but worth a try...

Do you know the original thread's and cpu's of the game before this new patch?

Last official version didn't have these options at all.

-------------------------

Alexc, I'm honestly surprised you could run ARMA or anything with 2gb in Win7. Mine uses 1.8gb at startup and I've dissabled alot of unused services.

All I can suggest is to try different settings with cpuCount and exThreads (I think exThreads=0 is equivalent to how it was in 1.05)

Edited by EDcase

Ok, btw... I am happy you have stuck with us for the time you have now... I think that ArmA 2's programming doesn't really try to consume a quad core computer. That or they wrote the programming based on a Intel Core Processor instead of an AMD. Because up till now, I have seen more Intel Core i7's totally beat the game to a pulp. Anyways, moving on to benchmarks I have made. I've noticed that my Quad Core processor is doing more work than my GFX card because it is a little weak. The video memory is half a gb and it doesn't really clock that fast imo. All of the rendering and post processing of explosions and gunfire cause an extreme amount of stuttering, and I had set up about 100 us jets vs 100 russian jets. It didn't lag as bad as it did when they began to fight, it did lag a bit though. Sometimes it might just pause for 5 to 10 seconds completely. Its possible my GFX card isn't equal to my CPU and its overworking the other. I have noticed that all hardware works together to do a difficult task like this. Plus, Rocketfish hasn't really given me a compatible installation for my sound card on Windows 7, they are some of the cheapest builders I have ever heard of. So I believe the sounds etc are also being dumped onto my memory and cpu. Whether or not I have the sound card installed. Also, I noticed that the farther away the battle... the little less choppy it got. Probably because I couldn't see all of the bullets rendering. I just don't know how to build a computer that can play a game THIS complex. I don't think its really possible with a low budget. And I can't be certain its just my graphics card, because its never going to be just one thing. ArmA 2 is just surreal and probably won't be pimped out until the future has arrived. If you would like my video card specifications, I would be more than grateful to give them to you.

Edited by DeclaredEvol

Last official version didn't have these options at all.

-------------------------

Alexc, I'm honestly surprised you could run ARMA or anything with 2gb in Win7. Mine uses 1.8gb at startup and I've dissabled alot of unused services.

All I can suggest is to try different settings with cpuCount and exThreads (I think exThreads=0 is equivalent to how it was in 1.05)

actually a lot of things run quit well with 2gb and win7 and allot better then vista anyways.. I run at 1.3 gb with arma 2...

I do have a 1gb on my gpu maybe that helps....

I tried the startup switch -cpuCount=2 and 0 and -exThreads=0 and did not change anything. problem remains as it was...

Edited by alexc
update

Its funny how it acts as if my computer is old and junky... when in fact it is brand new and built from scratch. It should be worth the money, because I spent almost $1,000 with soul and effort to build something. Especially since it was my first time I have ever looked at how a computer runs. I'm very displeased at the performance rate, especially since I have a better computer than some people I am seeing; running it at full blast 60-70 fps. I don't think there is a single thing I can fix except getting a new Graphics Card. But these days, why bother if you've only got about $20.00 to spend in your wallet HAHA!!

---------- Post added at 03:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 AM ----------

actually a lot of things run quit well with 2gb and win7 and allot better then vista anyways.. I run at 1.3 gb with arma 2...

I do have a 1gb on my gpu maybe that helps....

I tried the startup switch -cpuCount=2 and 0 and -exThreads=0 and did not change anything. problem remains as it was...

Well Alexc, please give me your Frames Per Second and your system specs. Your full system specifications that is... and I believe running ArmA 2 with 2gb is fine... its just your actual computer needs more memory. If your computer is hogging the memory resources while your game is requesting a butt load. You are asking for some trouble... I can't imagine how much memory is free after playing a game that takes up 500,000 mb of resources... That is half a gb man, and your basically not getting much left to thread into ArmA 2. I am sure its not a whole lot especially with Explorer.exe and a few other important processes on Win7. Computers are just a bitch to keep up to date are they not?

Ok guys, so I have found out the problem causing the choppiness on ArmA 2. It was the amount of mods being used. And not only that, but ACE mod was the main source of the choppiness. I am going to be doing more testing for you guys in a moment, to see what mods are best for performance and game play.