Sign in to follow this  
T.S.C.Plage

NOH-6A - The forefather of the ULB

For the interested...

NOH-6A "The Quiet One":

The NOH-6A (Night Observation Helicopter) was also called the Hughes 500P ("P" for Penetrator). It was a special version build for the CIA and was optimized for nighttime observations. Therefore it got all kind of IR/Nighttime observation devices (like a FLIR). Besides that it also got an acustically optimized engine, rotors, smoothed out gear and transmission and all kind of sound-proofing materials for a better noise reduction. Two helicopters of this type were build.

noh6a01b.jpg

A NOH-6A infront of its hangar at PS-44

noh6a02a.jpg

Front view of "The Quiet One"

noh6a03.jpg

During evaluations

noh6a04.jpg

With an upgraded FLIR

noh6acockpit01.jpg

The cockpit got FLIR monitors for pilot and co-pilot

noh6arotor01.jpg

The optimized 5-blade rotor for better noise reduction

noh6atailrotor01.jpg

The optimized tail-rotor with 4-blades. Actually it are two rotors with two blades each to better counter the produced noise (the same system used on the AH-64 "Apache" for the same reason).

----------------

Additional informations...

http://www.airspacemag.com/military-aviation/the_quiet_one.html?c=y&page=1

or

http://www.air-america.org/Articles/A_S_Mag_Black_Helos.shtml (same article)

I read this story a while ago, great story. I wonder where those ex-quiet one are nowo

Edited by 4 IN 1

Didn't they produce variants of that helicopter that had no tail rotor at all?

I read this story a while ago, great story. I wonder where those ex-quiet one are nowo

If you would have actually read the full story then you'd know where at least one is.

Didn't they produce variants of that helicopter that had no tail rotor at all?

McDonnell Douglas has NOTAR versions (MD 520N and 600N).

If you would have actually read the full story then you'd know where at least one is.

The story says "years later", but not exact which year, nor is it still there, and I ask "now" :rolleyes:

That said, you can answer me (if you know the answer at all) if it is still at Fort Belvoir, or not.

Edited by 4 IN 1

First some small corrections.

The designation NOH-6A was just for the prototype and the two delivered versions were called NOH-6P. The last photo in the first post shows the one at Ft. Belvoir around 1990 with an updated FLIR (not used in '72). If you rework this photo a little bit you can see the number 17825 on the engine housing.

Now look what I found...click. ;)

Nice find! Good to see its still flying, hope the other one are still flying as well