Sign in to follow this  
noubernou

Simulation type Shell and network streaming issues?

From what I have been told, the reason that the arty module does what it does is because shots fired that are of simulation type shell will get "lost" or considered unimportant and the engine will drop them from network traffic if they are in the air too long or too far from players or something like that.

With artillery obviously having longer times of flight and potentially being in areas not near any units for quite a long part of their journey this can cause results that are inconsistent for all clients connected to the game.

I was wondering if this has been addressed in any beta patches (if anyone knows) or will be investigated in the future.

Since this is the desired functionality its not really a bug, but more of a hurdle when developing artillery based systems.

Might I suggest a simulation type of "Artillery" or something similar that gets a higher network priority than Shell or Bullet or at least some more information on the criteria the network code uses to drop objects from streaming?