Sign in to follow this  
deathyacht

Arma 2 Save Game Crash

Hi all, I've seen some other topics kind of like this, after extensive searching there doesn't seem to be a work-around, so I thought I would post mine:

I have a multiplayer game I've been playing that the saved game file has gotten large (108MB, 54MB for continue, 54MB for save). Now whenever I make significant progress in the scenerio and I attempt to save or suspend, the game consistantly crashes to desktop with no error. Arma2.exe is still running and continues to run until I shut it off in task manager. I have no other crashing behavior, just this one...

My command line is just -nosplash, no compatibility settings, runs as administrator, normal graphics settings. I have manually entered the arma.config vram and made it read only as per some suggestions from that forum.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit on a i7 950 with a NVIDIA 285 video card. Twin SSDs in RAID 0 configuration. Everything about the system is tuned, top of the line, and otherwise stable.

I'd love to hear any ideas or suggestions!

Ok, I never knew where my Arma2.rpt file was until just now and I found it, it does have the "cannot commit" error I've seen written about in these forums. has there been any work around or resolution to the cannot commit error on save?

Edited by deathyacht
Found Arma2.rpt file

I have the exact same problem. I've been trying to deal with it for a month, but it's driving me crazy. I normally wouldn't mind not being able to save, but the game will crash in other situations, so you have to save all the time.

Please, fix this.

I am having this problem as well, to the point that it has drove me crazy.

Everytime I am on a campaign, no matter what mission I am on, I can save so many times then it will always eventually crash to the desktop, but this only happens when I attempt to save, not during actual gameplay.

This problem never seems to happen in the training missions though, only the campaign.

I have not used multiplayer so I cannot comment on that.

For me now Arma 2 has just become unplayable as it is so incredibly frustrating having this problem all the time.

I find myself having to constantly repeat the same episode over and over again because of the constant crashing.

I have been following all the forums very carefully and know that most users of Arma 2 out there are having this problem too.

Arma 2 is a fantastic simulation, however with this bug in it, You can only play it for so long before you just crack with frustration.

I have a Nvidia GTX285 (Latest drivers installed)

Intel I7 920 Processor.

Asus P6T Motherboard.

Creative SB X-Fi soundcard (Latest drivers installed)

12 gbs DDR3

Acer AL2216W 22inch Monitor at 1680 X 1050.

Windows Vista Premium 64 bit.

I have all the latest drivers installed for all my hardware.

I also have Evidenceblaster 2009 that I use all the time to keep my system running smooth.

Spyware Doctor as well, so I know I have no viruses either.

RegFix that I use several times a day so as to make sure my Registry is in perfect order.

So I know my system is very stable and just for the record, I am not a believer in overclocking my hardware, So I don`t.

So I know for a fact that my system is very stable.

Arma 2 on the other hand is very far from it...

I have tried Arma 2 with no patches at all.

I have tried it with 1.02, 1.03 and currently on 1.04, with all of of these setups I have constantly had the same problem.

Everytime just before installing a different patch, I always completely wipe any previously saved games and cfg files etc that may hinder Arma 2.

The graphics and performance of Arma 2 on my system is superb, just this one major problem with saving then crashing to desktop is all.

Just one more thing I would like to mention about this bug....

I find that once Arma 2 has crashed, it is still running in my task manager, if it crashes again, then it is running twice in my task manager and so on.

This in its own I find really strange.

Anyway, as a last note I would like to say that Arma 2 is really the most immersive and realistic war program that I have ever played and would love nothing better than to see it working the way it is supposed too.

For the time being I have given up with this program as it really has become unplayable because of this bug.

So will wait for the next patch to come out and try again then.

Until then, to the shelf with it.....

Also just one final thing I forgot to add.....

I have both the Steam version of Arma 2 and the Cd Retail version of Arma 2.

I first bought the Steam version of Arma 2 (The digital download)....

Anyway, I was having this problem with the steam version to the point I figured maybe it was just the Steam version had this problem.....

So I went out and bought the retail version of Arma 2......

Unfortunately for me, I am having the exact same problem with the retail version as I did with the Steam version.....

So anyone with the Steam version of Arma 2, please don`t be fooled into thinking that this is a Steam problem only.

If Bohemia Interactive can remedy this problem I will be very grateful.

Until Bohemia Interactive do fix Arma 2, I swear I will never buy another product from them as long as I live, Once bitten.....

Edited by stewg2006
I missed a bit.

I too also get the instant CTD when saving a game (either auto or manual).

I cant play past Dogs of War (using latest Beta patch I DLed today and this still has not solved the problem)

Did you solve the problem? Just curious, as I still can not save w/o an instant CTD in Dogs of War

No !! still the same old problem, It is driving me completely crazy...

Just about had enough of this program completely now.

I feel like I have wasted $100.00 AUD for the retail version and another $30.00 AUD for the steam version.

Really is a shame though, superb graphics and story line,

Think I will go back to my Dragon Rising instead and put Arma 2 back up on the shelf indefinitely...

Infact might even see if I can sell it on ebay, atleast get some of my money back....

Hope you are having better luck...

There is no way to fix this problem, not by the user at any rate,

Only Bohemia Interactive can, but I have not heard a single thing from them about this problem at all, and from what I have seen online, this has been an ongoing bug for sometime now...

All the best your end.....

---------- Post added at 03:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

I will just add one more short note that I forget to mention in previous replys....

From day one I have had to use the switch -WINXP in the command line for Arma 2..

Because If I do not use this switch, The graphics are completely rubbish...

So not sure if this has anything to do with the problem in question,

To be honest, I don`t think it does.

Hope this bit of info helps in this crusade...

I used to have to use the -winxp switch, but the new beta patches solved this.

Try the newest one: (at the top of the screen)

http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

Game runs much better than 1.04 (at least for me), and I do NOT have to use the -winxp fix (which I still believe slows the game down)

UNFORTUNATELY:

The newest beta patch does NOT fix (at least for me) the instant CTD while saving bug.

I can not play past Dogs of War, as any time computer saves or I try to, BOOM, crash to desktop. No error message or anything, but looking in the log, the last line is always "cannot commit"

PLLLLLLEEEEEEAAAAAAASSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEE 1.05 solve this.

I get the same problem, and I swear to god the next time it happens I'll put my head through my LCD.

I've got:

eVGA Classified X58 LE

i7 965 @ 4.2GhZ

12GB OCZ Reaper DDR3

2 x GTX285 SLi

3 x P256 RAID0

Windows 7 64-bit.

Core i7 + Windows 7 64-bit + GTX2xx + lots of RAM bug?

Edited by CameronMcDonald
Shmeh.

Same for me, I am at my wits end trying to finish Dogs of War. I love this game but it really is killing me having to repeat the same stuff over and over only to have the game crash again.

i7 920 @ 2.66GhZ

Win7 Pro 64-bit

6GB DDR3

Ati 5770

2 x 500GB in Raid 1

I think I'll go play OFP for a while until I calm down.

Edited by Fatman
Spelling

Can any of you who are using Maxmem parameter remove it from your shortcut and test it?

I can save now with no problem so far without that parameter, but Im going to test it more before I say that this fixed it.

Also gotten rid of it using maxmem=1024, reappeared using maxmem=1536.

Edited by DokiDoki

Worst piece of useless software I ever spend money on. If I could I would sue the creators for a waste of my money. USELESS USELESS USELESS piece of software with all the save game crashes. Don' t even know why I am playing this anymore. I spend about 10 hours extra already REDOING missions!!!

I found an "OK" fix that worked for me.

Turn OFF both SLI and Physx in the nivida control panel. This turns them off globally, not just game specific.

Im playing with the latest beta patch and no mods, and turning off both these options solved my CTD while saving bug.

I was finally able to finish the game. Well, actually, thats a bit of a lie. I actually got a bit bored about halfway thur Dogs of War (driving around in a BMP shooting guys in crappy Uazs and BDRMs got a bit boring, so I hit -endmission). Didnt know that was the last mission or I would have kept at it. Now, to find some decent, user made campaigns.

But try turning off both SLI and Pysix (nvidia users)

Running around yelling its a useless piece of software does not help at all. If you want to see it fixed post the bug on CIT or just wait for some patches.

Ontopic: I have managed to get rid of the Cannot commit error indeed but gotten a bunch of other errors instead. Im going to have a lot of fun with the editor and scenarios as there the problems are not or less.

Game crashes on loading saved game

The work around I found that worked was to;

1. Copy all the player save games from eg. C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\ArmA 2 Other Profiles\Playername\Saved\ca\missions\campaign\save1.ArmA2Save ( these could be up to save6.ArmA2Save) to a new folder.

2. Start game and restart the mission.

3. Exit game.

4. Copy all the saved save1.ArmA2Save file you copied back into the C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\ArmA 2 Other Profiles\Playername\Saved\ca\missions\campaign\ folder.

5. Restart game

6. resume campaign and get yourself killed.

7. The game should now give you all the player saves from before the game crashed. Load one of the player saves and continual the game.