Sign in to follow this  
hurzwa

Annoying sound issues

Hi everyone,

I bought ArmA2 via Steam. I have lots of sound bugs. Sounds come out of my speaker way too loud and distorted. But not all the time. During the first training mission it happens when driving the humvee. It also happens when starting the campaign and the intro starts. The game is not playable with these sund issues.

I have Realtek on board sound. I uodated sound and display drivers. I also installed latest directx9. I´m running WinXP.

regards,

Hur Zwa

Is the game updated to 1.04?

(Look bottom right on the main menu screen)

Hi,

it´s the steam version. So it should be always updated. And yes, it´s version 1.04. See the attached image.

arma2version.jpg

On another forum I read about enabling/disabling EAX and sound hardware acceleration in the profile file. I opened it with a text editor but there is no line regarding EAX or hardware acceleration. Maybe someone can post these lines here?

regards,

EDIT:

Okay, I tried it with the following lines in every possible variation without any success.

soundEnableEAX=1;

soundEnableHW=1;

Edited by hurzwa

I have still lots of sound stuttering. It´s strange. When I set Video Memory to low instead of normal the sound stuttering is no more. My graphic card (GeForce 8800 GTS) should handle the normal setting.

Hi,

it´s the steam version. So it should be always updated. And yes, it´s version 1.04. See the attached image.

arma2version.jpg

On another forum I read about enabling/disabling EAX and sound hardware acceleration in the profile file. I opened it with a text editor but there is no line regarding EAX or hardware acceleration. Maybe someone can post these lines here?

regards,

EDIT:

Okay, I tried it with the following lines in every possible variation without any success.

soundEnableEAX=1;

soundEnableHW=1;

No offense but why would changing these make any difference vis a vis onboard sound?

Your "card" is not hardware or EAX (in hardware) capable.

Try the beta patch maybe and lower your in game volume to 50% or less.

Of course an onboard sound chip is able to do hardware acceleration and EAX!

Beta doesn´t fix the problem

To run the DirectX Diagnostic Tool

To do this:

Step One: Click Start, and select the menu item Run

Step Two: In the Run dialog box, type: dxdiag

Step Three: Click Ok

Go to the sound tab and there should be a slider at the bottom, change it to standard or basic.

Of course an onboard sound chip is able to do hardware acceleration and EAX!

Beta doesn´t fix the problem

No, as a matter of fact they can't. This is one of the MAJOR reasons why developers have stopped supporting those features, because onboard solutions do not support HS/EAX.

Secondly, the XAudio2 engine is software only and thus doesn't support EAX or HS so you are effectively wrong on both points.

Just as a footnote, Realtek does support up to EAX 2.0 in SOFTWARE, but that is an old standard as Creative is now up to EAX 5.0. Asus emulates EAX 5.0 in software on their Xonar/Essence cards but it is FAR from perfect.

Edited by BangTail

So when the engine only supports software sound then I shouldn´t have any problems whether I have onboard sound or a sound card, right? And changing the hardware acceleration slider would be useless. And why would this slider exist when my onboard sound only can do software emulation?

BTW, when I install my Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS I have the SAME problem. First I could fix the sound issue by removing the Audigy sound card and play via onboard sound. But soon the problem came back.

So when the engine only supports software sound then I shouldn´t have any problems whether I have onboard sound or a sound card, right? And changing the hardware acceleration slider would be useless. And why would this slider exist when my onboard sound only can do software emulation?

BTW, when I install my Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS I have the SAME problem. First I could fix the sound issue by removing the Audigy sound card and play via onboard sound. But soon the problem came back.

That wasn't your original argument.

The fact remains that your "card" does not support hardware accelerated sound and A2 does NOT support hardware sound or EAX.

Did you try turning the game volume settings down to below 50%?

Latest Realtek drivers :

http://downloads.guru3d.com/Realtek-HD-Audio-2.37-Driver-download-2435.html

Edited by BangTail

If that doesn't help, set your speakers to 2.0 speakers in the HD Audio utility, I have the same problem and that is all I have found that works for me.

Good luck.

Austin.