Sign in to follow this  
ZachNCheese

'Opening Shots' - SP Mission

I'm working on a mission where the player leads a platoon of Marine infantry to reinforce a town held by the CDF. The time is 0220 and the Russians have just launched an offensive on the town with mechanized infantry and Spetsnaz who are landing in the area via helicopter. Luckily, the Marines have a battery of 'Avengers', a platoon of AAV7P's as well as two CDF ZU-23-2's.

The player's objective is to secure the town by destroying the Russian armored vehicles and then overrunning the Spetsnazs' landing zone.

Any tips or feedback on how to script or storyboard? I have all the units and movements created, I would like it to be as realistic as possible with the mission.

I'm working on a mission where the player leads a platoon of Marine infantry to reinforce a town held by the CDF. The time is 0220 and the Russians have just launched an offensive on the town with mechanized infantry and Spetsnaz who are landing in the area via helicopter. Luckily, the Marines have a battery of 'Avengers', a platoon of AAV7P's as well as two CDF ZU-23-2's.

The player's objective is to secure the town by destroying the Russian armored vehicles and then overrunning the Spetsnazs' landing zone.

Any tips or feedback on how to script or storyboard? I have all the units and movements created, I would like it to be as realistic as possible with the mission.

Sounds great!

In terms of storyline, I think OPFOR structure and numbers should be unknown to Marines. I don't think USMC would send a platoon of Amtracs to counter a mechanized force w/o Cobras or priority air support, such as a pair of Harriers on call, orbiting and ready to attack.

I would structure the story so that mech elements were an unexpected development that Marines need to address with what they got.

In real life I think this would be dealt with from the air and/or with arty. AAVPs would move in only after mechanized vehicles were destroyed as they are poorly armored and have only limited firepower (GLs, machine guns). LAV-25s would probably engage but only if they had an element of surprise and superior firing position.

If the town needed urgent reinforcement and no support was available, Marines would probably dismount and enter the town on foot, and then use the urban environment to create hasty defensive positions but only if they had sufficient number of AT weapons (Javelins, SMAWs) at their disposal to delay the enemy advance. All offensive maneouvers however would not be possible without the elimination of the mechanized threat first.

The bottom line is - nobody would sacrifice Marines's lives by initiating a deliberate operation against a mechanized threat w/o the means to counter it.

Edited by Ferrando

Adding air support will definitely be a priority when I can figure out how to synchronize it with the mechanized infantry. The Marines do dismount right as they enter the town and from there, their position can't be observed by the Russians units. I'll use this to my advantage in further designing the mission.

I put the AAV's in before I found out they were 'light armor' for all intents and purposes. I decided to keep them, instead of replacing them with LAV's, because they look BA and I might make them playable.

Thank you Godfather, General Maddus will be pleased.