Sign in to follow this  
Flouncy

Independent rudder control?

Anyone figured a way/script/mod to properly separate the rudder from the yaw that joystick inputs seem to override?

At slow speeds I can rudder the heli left or right, but after a certain point it rubbers back to center.

I want to be able to have total control over where the heli is pointing, independent of the heli's direction of travel. So I can, say, be honking along at speed at a heading, but point the nose at another direction.

Just like real choppers.

Right now it half works, but at a point the 'auto-rudder' over-rules my input.

Which is both false flight modelling and a pain in the arse.

Yes, I know Arma 2 isn't a flight sim, but this is basic easy stuff that would add greatly to the enjoyment, gameplay, tactical use of heli's and just overall sweetness of the game.

If that didn't make sense, I want to be able to do this:

No its not a control problem, that is just how they made the flight model. Maybe someday someone will make a great addon to fix this through scripting.

Is their flight model accurate (regarding rudder)? The manual does say stuff about that particular control quirk. Even briefly explains it as an accurate model.

Is their flight model accurate (regarding rudder)? The manual does say stuff about that particular control quirk. Even briefly explains it as an accurate model.

No, it's not. It's a curious compromise.

There should be an 'arcade' model, where there's no rudder control at all, and banking auto-tunes the rudder.

And there should be a 'sim' mode, where the rudder can be controlled free of cyclic inputs.

And an analogue throttle...

IRL, helicopters do tend to 'weathercock' with an increase in forward airspeed, due to the shape of the helicopter itself. Also, there's normally has some kind of vertical stabiliser at the tail as well to help this tendency (the designers assume that when you're going fast, you want to be going forwards!) Nonetheless, the ARMA model isn't all that great, IRL if you push the pedals, you do feel the heli try to yaw, even at speed. It's not a good idea though, it becomes quite easy to cause a whole variety of life-threatening problems.

Edited by ARM505