Sign in to follow this  
ray243

How do I make notepads into SQM?

Sorry for asking such a dumb question. I have copied some code for a mission, and the person told me to put it in notepad. Problem is, I do not know how to change the file type. Sorry for asking this dumb question.

Would be nice if a mod closed this thread and post this on some Q&A thread, because I don't think this is big enough for a thread, but I can't seem to find a Q&A thread around here....

In the folder, go to tools -> Folder options, click view, and untick hide extensions for known filetypes.

Then, when you rename the file, delete the .txt on the end and replace it with sqm, sqf or sqs, depending what type of file it needs to be ;)

Hope that helps

Also try using Notepad++ or something other than vanilla notepad to do your text editing.

I wholeheartedly recommend EditPad Lite. Free for non-commercial use (e.g., modding). Clean interface (but I suggest tweaking the preferences to make it a little cleaner), no unnecessary bells and whistles, and it includes handy features like auto-indent, line numbers, etc.

EditPad Pro is much more hard-core and is pretty decent if you want to go up that road instead, but I don't think it's worth $50.

(Incidentally, EditPad Pro claims it can be installed on USB memory sticks and whatnot. What is not also mentioned is that EditPad Lite also can be installed on USB memory sticks just by copying over the executable and the .ini file.)