Sign in to follow this  
EvilErny

Success and fun in MP modes

I personally believe that ArmA 2 in many of its modes were not designed specifically for rapid action and mission completion. I know that is a fairly obvious statement but I think that the designers had a type of team play in mind that most all games to not provide.

8 years in the US Army Infantry taught me that you walk for 5 days to get 5 minutes of action. While that kind of simulation is rediculous, ArmA provides something very close to that. The fun in ArmA and ArmA 2 is to sit at a base. Spend 10 minutes to organze a force. Get you humvees, your cobras and your infantry all lined up. Move to the objective in an organized manner, use current military techniques and strategy to take down a force using organization, speed, discipline and firepower. Reorganize, then repeat. You have an unlimited amount of choices when it comes to strategy and vehicles and weapons. Plus they give you a map that is large enough to conduct maneuvers and then try a new strategy on a different city and terrain without having to go pick teams again and load a new map.

They joy in this game comes from maturity, patience and and basic knowledge of military principle. It is not a game of knowing where all the good "hide" spots are and racing to see who gets to them first then sit in one place and shoot people over and over again from the same spot. It also removes the "campers". You have sniper in a building and you can't get him. Hmm, a GBU will work fine. Maybe, a dozen rockets from a friendly cobra...

If you enjoy fast and immediate action and you can shoot while jumping 6 feet in the air sideways while carrying 200lbs of gear, this game is not for you. If you enjoy organization and discipline, this is the game for you.