Sign in to follow this  
HuBBa

Ranges?

Im currently working on a M24 Sniper rifle with a M4A Scope using a mil-dot reticle. Now according to the manual for the M24, a 1.83 meters tall person att 500 meters range should be up 3.65 dots high. But how applies this to the ranges featured in OFP? What i can figure, such an magnification would be fairly useless in OFP since not that many bullets travel 500 meters with any accuracy left in the game. (Sniper bullet has a mid range of 200 meters and max of 900, and i assume it drops pretty much at 500.) So what i figure is that perhaps i should set it to show 3.65 mil-dots at 200 meters instead. To balance it into the game.

Comments, thoughts, feedback is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

[FILO] HuBBa

how about just use the redfield zoom scope that was used on M21? some of the original M40s had that scope on. I think it will be much easier to use and create.

Two reasons basically.

1) the M21 scope wasn't incorporated in the M24 SWS package. The SWS used a scope called M4A which used the Mil-dot reticule system for range estimation.

2) I'm not making a M40 addon, im making a M24 SWS. Both the M24 and the M40 are Remington 700 rifles wheras they use different sighting systems. Redfield 3-9x (and later on replaced with a Unertl 10x with Mil-Dots and BDC) on the M40 wheras the M24 used a 10x42 Leupold Ultra M3A telescope sight (Mil-Dots).

There is obviously also the issue with M40 being USMC and M24 SWS being US Army =)

Thank god for www.snipercentral.com smile.gif

PS. fieldtesting with the M24 SWS addon that im playing with is helluva lot of fun. =)

Ds.