Sign in to follow this  
buble

MP script editing question

I'm new to ARMA editing. So maybe it was answered before but I did search and haven't found an answer.

Is it possible to edit and reload script (in MP) while mission is running?

What if I rename SQF to SQS?

I saw RTE but it doesn't work in MP.

I'm trying to edit Warfare but I can't even save the script while ARMA is running.

I don't have any MP scripting experience, so I can't help you there.

But I can tell you that SQS and SQF scripts aren't just differently named, they're completely different syntaxes, and they're run differently by the engine.  SQS is older, from Operation Flashpoint, and SQF is newer, from ArmA.  SQF is what I recommend using and learning, because it's more structured, can run on multiple threads, and is just generally easier to read/use.  It requires a bit more planning before you dive right in, but compare 2 minutes of planning for SQF to 2 hours of scouring code to find the bug for SQS.  Not that SQF is without bugs or problems of it's own, but because it's structured better, it's easier to find them.

Hm I wonder then why is bunch of scripts in Warfare are SQSes I see some of them continuously get called.

But anyway I wonder how other people debug MP missions such as WF - its a pain in a ass to stop the mission to edit script. Specially when some progress has been made?

Hm I wonder then why is bunch of scripts in Warfare are SQSes I see some of them continuously  get called.

But anyway I wonder how other people debug MP missions such as WF - its a pain in a  ass to stop the mission to edit script. Specially when some progress has been made?

SQS is a scripting format that was primarliy used in OFP. It still works for ArmA however it's considered by many as obsolete.

SQF was made primarily for handling functions.

I try to make MP missions, and yes it's a pain. While you are editing in the editor, you can stop previewing the mission, then alt-tab and edit & save the files and try them out again. However the scripts result may not behave the same as on a dedicated server with others playing/disconnecting/connecting. Some commands are global and some are local.

MP editing is a pain, but when you get it right and things work it makes all the hard work worth it.  smile_o.gif