Sign in to follow this  
EchoFive USMC

How flaky is this game anyway

Last night, I finally got around to doing a full uninstall, registry scrub, reinstall of 1.2 off the CD, Redhammer Gold Upgrade (1.3), and then a 1.42 uprdade. I've been unable to play online for a week because I kept locking up at Creating Client.

I reinstalled none of the addons I've been using because of all the stuff in the air over addons. So..it was a pure, 100% BIS approved install.

My squaddie Ming put a private server up for a little co-op, he says I connected with a modified config message the first time. My os crashed about 2 minutes into the map, nVidia's beta det 27.xx drivers BSOD'd my Win2k machine. I rebooted, reinstalled the det 27.xx video drivers, went back in , Ming said no modified config message on connect that time.

My point is, that even with a fresh install and no addons, this game is so freakin buggy, you can get a modified config msg from a server, seemingly at random, just from probs with vid drivers, and probably directx, audio drivers, and any other driver in the stack that the game calls.

This isn't a post that is intended to have anything to do with whats been going on with FHA and us, so please don't take it back there, k? biggrin.gif

I'm just sharing what I think is a flaw in the game, and I think relying strictly on the modified config message to identify a cheat is not enough. OOTH, I haven't seen how detailed the modified config messages are under 1.45, but frankly, I've never seen one at all under any version. Maybe it is good enough now, unless BIS has holes in that code as well.

I totally agree. We are tryin to bring in a recruit for the wing, but even with a fresh reinstall he gets a "modified" msg, and then crashes out of the game on the receiving data screen. Has anyone else had this problem?

Was your friend using a completely fresh install?

Do not forget that the server checks YOUR config.bin against the SERVERS config.bin so if his has been modified by mods or by cheating then yours will appear to be different according to that message.

In between the time you had your crash and re-installed new drivers did he change anything in his setup?

I have that modified config problem too even with a COMPLETE uninstall of the game. You know what? I have beta NVIDIA 27.42 detonator drivers as well.......time to go back to 23.11 drivers I suppose:) How would video card drivers cause the OFP config file to be modified? But I'm desperate to fix it, so I'll try it, hehe. I'll post back here tomorrow with results.

I didn't know that Armourdave..I thought the config was getting compared to a version specific hardcode checksum.

So yer saying if the server has an addon, for example, that mods the config, and you don't, when you connect to that server, it will show you as using a modified config?

If thats the case, then using the modified config msg is absolutely not a reliable way to detect cheats. There are hundreds if not thousands of add-ons out there, a sizable number of which appear to mod the config. Throw in what appears to be OFP reading a modified config because of driver issues???

The chances of a player having a mod or driver installed that would cause the server to report a modified config are excellent.

Holy crap, now Im confused. All I know is that he uninstalled, deleted everything pertaining to OFP including addons etc., and it didnt work at all. We have gone through this on a few peoples servers, and nothing works. I am absolutely sure that he didnt mess up his game using cheats though, because he is a good guy, and, well, hes kind of a newbie when it comes to how OFP works lol. But hes highly motivated, and if someone can help me with this problem, all of you will have one more Warrior to worry about biggrin.gif

I agree this game is really bugy. I've reinstalled OPF so many times I've lost count and the game still has issues. I've even went as far as reinstalling my OS and everything else.

Personally I think that the 1.45 patch needed to be overlooked a little more before it was released. Seems people have been getting the "modified config" msg even though they haven't done anything to modify the config file. And the bug about not being able to land the heli's if you use the keyboard is frustrating.

I just hope that BIS really looks at all the problems that OPF has and fixes all these kinds of issues before they release OPF 2 or Independence Lost tounge.gif

5thSFG.No_Pulse

really buggy tonight. First time on 1.45, and it was bad. Fresh install with only gunslinger addon too. hmmm 1.50 commin soon?