Sign in to follow this  
bravo 6

Windows

1st: The hotel model windows seem to be the perfect example for this case. Though im not completely sure if we can see from inside to outside and vise versa but we we can shoot trough it.

How is it done?

Do we need to simulate the frame of the window 2x, reducing 1 and give it geometry = 0 ?

The main idea is this: model must have a window texture, but at the same time players should be able to see and fire trough it.

I'm a little confused as to what you're asking? To shoot through things, don't add a fire geo in that area. You can still add a geo lod to prevent people walking through it. To make it seethrough, the texture has to have an alpha...

or I've completely got the wrong end of the stick here...

Sorry if i was not clear but i don't know how to explain the idea more then this

its "just" to be able to see and fire though the window (in both directions) but i want it to have some textures (in and out) with the possibility to see whats inside from outside and vise versa.

If you go to the hotel model you know what im trying to say and get.

From your post i got an info about alfa that i didn't know.

Can you please elaborate more about it? Im not familiar to it confused_o.gif

to be ableto shoot through things, you basically leave a 'hole' in the fire geometry lod where you wish the building to allow bullets through - in your case a window.

for a seethrough window you create a two sided plane (two faces back to back) where the window should be. You then apply a texture onto this that has an alpha.

Alpha is a geeky way of saying opacity/how see through things are. Much of Arma refers to alphas in colour strings RGBA (red, green, blue, alpha).

All you need to do would be to make a variying colour of blue in photoshop, and then double click on the layer and set the master opacity to 20% or so. Make sure that you can now see the chequer pattern behind the see through blue tint. Then save this as a tga_ca - the ca tag is important. Apply it to your double face and you should have a see through window. The easiest thing to do would be to find the hotel textures in the CA folder and see how they've made them in texview... things like these are more easily explained if you have something to look at (and I'm not very good at describing things)

oh.. cool, i didn't know it would work for these texture cases aswell, great!

smile_o.gif

Now i can do some nice things biggrin_o.gif

Just need to use my imagination.

Quote[/b] ] (two faces back to back)

This info was very useful, thanks!

The biggest flaw in the Arma engine is that it does not consider breaking glass in objects. It takes a major effort to simulate it, i had the same problem with a busstop and a phonebooth. It kills all realism if you are standing inside with bullets flying around you and

there is no shattered glass. And shooting through a window with a glass texture on it feels unreal.