Sign in to follow this  
bhaz

Dedicated - Firewall question

Just noticed that my firewall's been droppin' a lot of packets from my dedicated server heading out to a BIS server on port 2302. Is this an important feature I'm blocking or is it safe to leave it? Also, just noticed it was using TCP 2302, which was the reason it was dropped in the first place.

Firewall log excerpt:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">**** kernel: [IPTABLES DROP] : IN= OUT=eth0 SRC=192.168.1.x DST=81.0.236.117 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=26445 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=41564 DPT=2302 WINDOW=5840 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0 OPT (020405B40402080A000A213E0000000001030302)

ws1.bistudio.com [81.0.236.117]

edit: info

If you want BattlEye to work you should allow it (it's the BE Master Server).

Might I ask why you setup your firewall to block certain destination ports? It doesn't really technically prevent the application from working, because it is only a number and could be changed to anything for it to work (not in this case, but I hope you know what I mean).

The only reasonable setup I see is blocking all outgoing connections by default and only allowing those using specific destination ports, which could still be exploited but is a lot safer.

Cheers for the reply, guess I should allow that since im using BattlEye. whistle.gif

The only reasonable setup I see is blocking all outgoing connections by default and only allowing those using specific destination ports, which could still be exploited but is a lot safer.

This is how it's set up (both outbound and inbound), except I originally only allowed the ports on the wiki page (230x ports using UDP).