Sign in to follow this  
Actium

Improving Linux Dedicated Server Performance

I'm still having issues figuring out what the ideal linux kernel configuration concerning the arma linux dedicated server's performance is.

What I've found out so far:

A real server configuration (No Forced Preemption + Timer frequency = 100 Hz):

Causes the server to take ages for even loading a map. When you try to connect to the server and have successfully selected a mission you will be stuck at the "Wait for Host"-screen (the one with the progress bar) for more than 5 minutes. During that time the server's cpu load is as low as 0% and memory usage climbs very, very slowly.

Low-latency desktop configuration (Preemptible Kernel + Timer frequency = 1000 Hz):

Server works quite well, but suffers from very serious JIP- and usual lags.

Additionally a server is not supposed to run a kernel that is actually inteded for desktop-use.

This configuration makes IO-operations despite the kernel manual's claims ("slightly lower throughput") about 5 times more cpu intensive when compared with the real server configuration (And we do not want that for servers).

Compromise A (Voluntary Kernel Preemption + Timer Frequency = 100 Hz):

-> Real server configuration (No Forced Preemption + Timer frequency = 100 Hz)

Compromise B (Voluntary Kernel Preemption + Timer Frequency = 1000 Hz):

Seems to be working quite well. However I just started testing this configuration. Additionally 1000 Hz are not supposed to be used for a server system either.

Did anyone else play with different performance related kernel configuration options before?

Question to the developers: What configurations is the server intended for?

I just compiled for a preemptive, 1000Hz kernel, and get what I'd expect (ie normal loading times but with the usual lag on JiP and such)

I'd expect 250Hz/1000Hz with No-Preemp or Voluntary Preemp to work best. The main benefit of using forced-preemp is that it makes keyboard/mouse action more responsive on that machine itself, while lowering performance of processes running on the machine. So for a server that would never be useful as it would slow down what is running on it, without any actual benefit.