Sign in to follow this  
ZNorQ

My custom resource addon with sounds..

I'm creating 8 to 10 MP COOP missions, and there are alot of resources (pictures, sounds, etc) that is utilitzed in some/all of these. That is, some of the same sounds / pics are used in several of the missions. So I decided to create a custom resource addon called "nsf4_resources.pbo" which will contain all these recyclable resources.

The resource addon contains the file $PBOPREFIX$, which in turn contains "nsf4\res" (without the quotes, ofcourse). There isn't a "return" either.

The folder structure in the resource is as followed;

- bat

- gfx

- sfx

Now, these should be pretty much self-explanatory, but I'll explain anyway; Any resource that are re-used goes in these - and they are scripts (bat), graphics (gfx) and sounds (sfx).

The problem for me is that I can't seem to make the sounds work. There is a specific sound - "radio_squark.ogg" that is located in sfx, and this is the class definition in description.ext;

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

class CfgSounds {

sounds[] = {Radio_Squark};

class Radio_Squark {

name="Radio Squark";

sound[]={"\nsf4\res\sfx\radio_squark.ogg", db+20, 1.0};

titles[] = {};};

};

When playing the sounds, I use this command; playSound "Radio_Squark";

Now, keep in mind that if I create a "sfx" folder in the mission folder itself, and update the class config to reference to this folder instead of the resource - it works!

Also, I have a flag in the gfx folder in the resource file - and I use this command to apply it to a flagpole; this setFlagTexture "\nsf4\res\gfx\flags\nsfflag.jpg". This also works, so the path seems fine...

Can anybody spot the error?

ZNorQ

try removing

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">sounds[] = {Radio_Squark};

if thats not the error, its the pboprefix. there is a thread about it, with pathes .. etc. dunno at the moment.

but first try the sounds[] array removal.

regards

rocko

second:

if you define sounds in the "addon" you dont need to define the sounds in the description.ext.

if you just copy the sounds into your addon without a sounds config the description.ext wont access the sound files in your addon.

you need to define the sounds in you config.cpp /.bin

then you can easily call the sounds with say or playsound command

edit:

your resources for sounds would look like this in your config.cpp

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">class CfgSounds {

class Radio_Squark {

name="Radio Squark";

titles[] = {};};

};

but interesting graphics work this way but no sounds

Ricki,

Thanks for your feedback, but I just can't make it work. At one point I was starting to wonder if ArmA loaded the resource file at all in the startup, but I can verify that it does, because I'm also using a flag texture that is only located in the resource file - and that works. (The path to the flag texture is \nsf4\res\gfx\flags\nsfflag.jpg.)

Considering that the pbo file itself is called nsf4_resources.pbo, and the $PBOPREFIX$ file contains nsf4\res, it seems to me that the $PBOPREFIX$ path reference works, ie., references starting with \nsf4\res\ seems to be valid..

This is the whole content of config.cpp in nsf4_resources.pbo (Perhaps I'm missing some elements?);

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">class CfgSounds {

class Radio_Squark {

name="Radio Squark";

titles[] = {0,""};

};

};

This is the file- and folder structure in the resource pbo;

bat

gfx

flags

nsfflag.jpg

sfx

radio_squark.ogg

(There are other files, but those are of no relevance in this example..)

Kenneth aka ZNorQ

hi

just for interest:

[did you try leaving the pboprefix and renaming the .pbo file only to nfs4 ?

wondering WHAT will happen if you do like the above.]

the problem itself:

maybe if you have a pboprefix and call \nfs4\res

only add in config.cpp

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">sound[] = {"\sfx\rad...ogg", NUMBER, NUMBER};

hi

just for interest:

[did you try leaving the pboprefix and renaming the .pbo file only to nfs4 ?

wondering WHAT will happen if you do like the above.]

the problem itself:

maybe if you have a pboprefix and call \nfs4\res

only add in config.cpp

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">sound[] = {"\sfx\rad...ogg", NUMBER, NUMBER};

I don't believe this... No go... banghead.gif

I removed the $PBOPREFIX$ file, and I renamed the source folder to nsf4, created a pbo file (nsf4.pbo), put that in the addon folder and restarted ArmA.. (I deleted the old nsf4_resources.pbo that was located in the addons folder before starting ArmA)..

Updated version of config.cpp in nsf4.pbo;

class Radio_Squark {

name="Radio Squark";

sound[]={"sfx\radio_squark.ogg", db+20, 1.0};

titles[] = {0,""};

};

};

PS! As for the path reference to the sound file, I've tried all these versions with the above configuration;

\nsf4\sfx\radio_squark.ogg

nsf4\sfx\radio_squark.ogg

\sfx\radio_squark.ogg

Another thing, I use kegetys'es createPBO app., and I guess there is no need to binarize the config.cpp before creating a pbo file?

ZNorQ

no, no need to binarize, until it's working  xmas_o.gif

here is a link to a pboprefix discussion

link

no, no need to binarize, until it's working xmas_o.gif

Hehe, well, just checking every thinkable possibility... I'm just about to throw my brand new PC and the monitor out the window! biggrin_o.gif

I guess I'll just have to include all the resources in each mission... What a waste... sad_o.gif

I'm so sure its a stupid mistake on my account, but I've been trying to figure this mess out for so many hours now...

Thanks anyway..

ZNorQ

here is a link to a pboprefix discussion

link

Well, the way I've used it now - as described in that thread, conforms with what results I've gotten by using it in my resource file. I base that on the flag texture that actually work. (\nsf4\res\gfx\flags\nsfflag.jpg) The nsf4\res is taken from the PBOPREFIX file...

Why the sound can't be found, is beyond me.. I've de-pbo'ed the original sound pbo file from the game to see if the sounds have to be under a certain folder (as I think it did in OFP), but I can see no proof of this...

ZNorQ