Sign in to follow this  
Gnossos

Saves Break Custom Sounds

Back in 2003, Blanco posted the following question and received no replies:

Quote[/b] ]All my missions have a lot of custom sounds (CfgSounds,CfgRadio,CfgMusic,CfgEnvSounds & CfgSFX).

When I use CfgEnvSounds and I save and reload or retry my mission the sounds disappear.

That's a pity cos all the efforts to create a mission with a lot atmosphere are useluss because of that.

Also custom music won't play anymore after a reload.

I don't care about the music, but when you do you best to add several CfgEnvSounds, after a save/reload/retry everything is quiet...

Is this a OFP-bug since the beginning? Is there a solution?

I've been fooling around editing user-made missions for ffur05 and ffsx07 and discovered that any of the three save functions (a savegame trigger, the menu option, and the cheat) break custom voices, radio messages, music, and, often, the accompanying subtitles, when saved games are reloaded. To judge by the error messages -- e.g., "voice1 file not found" or something similar -- the saved games don't retain the the cfgSounds, cfgRadio, etc. data in the mission's description.ext file.

Strangely, the problem only occurs when a mission is played from the OFP missions folder; not when it's played by previewing it in the editor.

Careful examination of the description.ext files, the sound files, and the stringtable files doesn't turn up any obvious scripting errors. (Two of the affected missions are General Barron's well-regarded "Platoon Commander" and the excellent OFPEC contest entry "Morning Dew" -- both of which are expertly and carefully scripted). Moreover, the problem occurs in when playing the missions in plain vanilla OFP v1.96 as well as in ffur05 and ffsx07.

Do any of you scripting gurus have an explanation and/or fix for the problem? Or is this just another example of the unfixable savegame bug mucking things up?

Thanks in advance,

gnossos

More than likely an unfixable issue with the game engine. I would imagine someone like Blanco would have his stuff as tweaked and tidy as the default Bohemia stuff so it's probably nothing to do with a config error or the like. It's just a game bug.