Sign in to follow this  

EOD questions?

Im trying to set up a scene in a movie and was wondering how far EOD is normally controlling a talon robot from.

Anyone know something about this?

I have a few more questions but will wait so it doesnt get confusing...

Im trying to set up a scene in a movie and was wondering how far EOD is normally controlling a talon robot from.

Anyone know something about this?

I have a few more questions but will wait so it doesnt get confusing...

officially, personell are supposed to be no less than 300 meters away, the bigger the boom, the further you need to be away from it....HOWEVER...in the real world, I've had EOD blow up IED's as close as within 150 meters of the security cordon...and I've seen the actual buffalo with the robot operator within 100 meters. They operate the thing from within thier buffalo, so, realistically, they can get pretty close without any problems. The actual distance away, in the real world, is dictated more by terrain and the ability for EOD and the security team to maintain eyes on the site. As long as you aren't parked ON the IED, there really isn't any problems. We were pulling an outer cordon on an IED built from 200 pounds of rocket fuel once and they blew that thing probably 200 meters from our position and I'd say 75 meters, max, from thier buffalo. We certianly felt the concussion from the blast (it was sweet...lol), but there wasn't any injuries or damage to equipment from it.