Sign in to follow this  
Cloth Ears

Armored Fist

I have completed the other single missions, but continually lose out to the AT's on this mission. banghead.gif

Can anyone out there offer me a strategy? pistols.gif

This is the "three Abrams tanks take on two enemy bases" one? Firstly (I didn't have to do this), but this mission is WAAAAY easier if you reduce the viewdistance so that the enemy BMPs across the bay CANNOT see you, otherwise they spend their time slinging AT5s at your from 3ks or so. Realistic, but bloody annoying.

(I was lucky enough to have my AI all hiding behind rocks and taking shots until we got all 3 of them).

MAKE SURE YOU ARE THE DRIVER OF YOUR TANK. Being commander is a surefire way to get yourself axed.

OK, get your tanks in line formation. Head directly towards the first base. YOu should only have to advance 200m or so before you pick up a BMP2 on the scope. Waste it before it AT5s you.

Then, beware the infantry loons running around to the south of the base, there's at least one idiot there with an RPG. Be sure to designate targets from command view while driving (it's pretty easy, use your mouse for one and KB for the other).

A T72 should be spotted on the mountains to the very far south east - axe him if you can, cause he's making a beeline for the vulnerable support group on the beach. If you don't hit him, just watch for him once you've cleared the first base.

Once you reach the fenceline, hold up for a sec while you and your friends wreak havoc on the infantry. Then, tell your mates to stop (once the killing stops) and move cautiously to your south east - use command view to spot another BMP2 hiding behind some houses. Target him, and then pop up in the gap between two houses (note, do this from the west) and brew his ass up.

Drive around the base (and blow up trucks) until you get the order it's clear. OK. I recommend doing one more circuit of the base to ensure your support group doesn't get pwned before you leave. Then hold position (using caution for the afore mentioned T72, if he wasn't destroyed earlier) and order in the support group. Repair/rearm if you need.

OK, don't save yet. Once the support group pops up en scene, leave them there and make a beeline (don't follow the road, go through the forest!wink_o.gif for the second base. Beware of driving over rocks, if I had a dollar for the number of times I'd flipped the tank while trying to catch air, I'd be a very rich man. At this point some Ka50s will meander around to the south west, take some potshots if you wish (I've killed 3 with the main gun - beat that wink_o.gif ). OK, you should now be on the hillside directly north (make sure you're on the north side, there should be no entrances on that side) of the base.

Save your game.

The next part basically involves keeping your AI comrades still to '240 any RPG loons who get brave enough to come running out of the gate, while you advance to the fenceline.

Use command view to get an idea on where the two mobile T72s are. There should be one on the road on the northeast side of the base, and another visible on the northwest. The third T72 is hiding behind the field hospital, but he's not a problem for now.

Use your tank to drill a hole through the wall, and back off. When there are no RPG idiots running around (it may be wise to switch to gunner to get them, and blow up the guard-towers while you're at it :P ) target the closest T72 and axe his ass when you've got a clear shot. If you miss, back off until you've reloaded. Once these two T72s are axed, move into the base with your comrades, but only as far as the road the first two T72s were camping on.

Target the third T72 using command view, and edge around the corner of a building and brew him up (try not to hit the field hospital, as they have an uncanny ability for absorbing one 125mm SABOT round and leaving you wide open to the T72's D81).

Once he's axed, waltz around the base until you get the "base clear" command.

Now, if you've previously killed all those BMP2s, as I did, the mission will end at this point. Otherwise, wait in the base with a clear view across the bridge, and destroy the BMPs one at a time, backing off each time your loader is busy.

Good luck.

Thanks for the deatailed response Cameron. I will give it a go this arvo...

Mebbe once I have done that I will up the anti and work out a way to do the mission as commander only! I will let you know how I get on...

i usually try to flank the first base from the right. that way you can "sneak" along the base fence and pick off the BMPs without them noticing you.

Just playing this through for the second time due to the 1.8 patch...

Why, oh why, oh why can't you call out targets to the gunner?? What made them take this facility away? Now it's just a case of hoping the gunner takes any notice, or even better, fires his gun at all, while you and the rest of the tanks get blown up.

The first time I played this with 1.5, I did it fine, no problems at all. I think 1.8 might have screwed this mission up a bit.

Oh well, managed it by just driving towards the first base at full speed. Seems sometimes brute force works!

Just playing this through for the second time due to the 1.8 patch...

Why, oh why, oh why can't you call out targets to the gunner?? What made them take this facility away? Now it's just a case of hoping the gunner takes any notice, or even better, fires his gun at all, while you and the rest of the tanks get blown up.

The first time I played this with 1.5, I did it fine, no problems at all. I think 1.8 might have screwed this mission up a bit.

Using the command menu's target option works.

I finally started going through the single missions, and I'm also stuck on this mission. I've cleared both towns completely and have all 3 of my tanks intact. I've just been sitting at the 2nd base for 20+ minutes trying to have the mission complete. I've "seized" the 2nd base, and now I'm trying to "hold" it, but for how long do I have to hold it? What is the trigger that completes this mission?

Guest Ti0n3r

Irimi-Ai, try to sweep the area around the base. Probably some cowards hiding in the bushes tounge2.gif