Sign in to follow this  
-TG- Houdini

ArmA DVD not starting up now.  (505 Games, UK)

Well, I've got a new and unusual problem:

My Armed Assault DVD (505 games, UK version) is no longer recognized in Windows, it won't autostart when I reinsert the disk...and basically just sits there like a lump of coal. I've restarted the system...if I leave the DVD in the tray, the computer will not fully boot (presumably because it can't read the DVD).

I've tested 2 other DVDs: GRAW, and BF2...both work in the same player.

I've got a Lite-On LH-20A1L Lightscribe SATA DVD drive, with standard XP drivers but updated Lightscribe software just in case. There is no updated firmware for the Lite-On LH-20A1L yet.

Brand new computer build and Windows XP Pro installation (2 weeks old)...no junk on this baby!

I've even tried changing the DVD region, but I can't change it unless the DVD is in properly...and I can't do anything with it because its unresponsive with the ArmA DVD in.

The DVD is brand spanking new...no visible scratches or smudges.

I tried inserting the disk in a second computer...works like a champ. GGRRRR!

It was working fine yesterday.

Any ideas? I've searched the forums already, but couldn't find anything similar. It looks, smells, and feels like a Securom issue, but I'm not 100% sure.

Could sure use some help here.

Specs:

Processor: Intel E6700 C2D (no overclock)

Motherboard:ASUS P5N32-E SLI

Memory: 2GB RAM

Video Card: EVGA 8800GTS (no overclock)

Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 226BW 22" Wide Screen

Sound Card: SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio

Amazing! Securom actually responded to my e-mail!

Quote[/b] ]Hello.

Thank you for your e-mail. Please rename your original 'ARMA.EXE' to 'ARMA.OLD'. Then click on the link below

or copy and paste it into your web browser. From the 'File Download' window

click 'Open' and extract the new 'ARMA.EXE' into the same folder and

re-start the application.

[LINK REMOVED]

If the problem persists, please send another analysis file of the latest

executable to us.

If you have any further questions feel free to contact us.

Best regards,

SecuROM Support Team

SecuROM on the web: http://www.securom.com

or via e-mail: support@securom.com

*** Please include the subject line exactly as written above including your

ticket number in all communications to ensure proper handling ***

Did their new .exe work? What version of ArmA was the problem, and did it affect the beta patches?

Actually, it didn't. I'm not sure why the new .exe would have helped, since it's the DVD that's not being recognized. The DVD works in another computer, so it has to be some setting that's changed on my new computer regarding the DVD drive, but I can't figure it out.

I've uninstalled / reinstalled the drive itself, but that didn't work. Again, the drive is working for other titles, no problem...so I'm stumped.

I've got some leads on a possible spyware issue and interference with securom...I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

EDIT: Armed Assault patched to latest 1.05 version. Currently playing with the latest 1.7 beta version.

Quote[/b] ]joaodguimaraes Posted: May,16:23

Hello everybody

I haven't played ArmA for a while and now it refuses to start(I wonder if it's angry at me). When I click the game's icon the small hourglass appears for a second or two, and then nothing... I've tried updating my video and sound drivers, reinstalling the game, tried with the various patches but nothing seems to solve the problem sad_o.gif

System:

Intel Dual Core 6400

2Gb RAM

GeForce 7900Gs

Original Disk

Any help will be appreciated, thanks

I've got exactly the same problem, and it's getting me really angry. I was able to solve the problem in a way that forum rules probably don't allow me to speak about in here, but currently that only works for ver1.05. I have the same issue with another game protected by SecuROM (Silent Hunter 4) but apparently trying the same trick will result in some intentional game bugs. I was going to send a logfile to securom, but your report disencouraged me. I thought it was 505, BI or Securom who should be working hard to solve this problem, not the cracker community (note that my problem isn't a simple bug. I simply can't even start the whole game). Isn't it ironic? By so zealously enforcing antipiracy measures, game companies and copy protection systems are turning us into pirate software users (at least those who don't find it fair buying a game for 60$ and not being able to play it at all crazy_o.gif )

I have a good slogan:

SecuROM: Secures you from playing your own games

maybe original games fade too rofl.gif now where is that reciept......

I've got the same problem with 505 dvd. It's just stopped reading the disc out of the blue.

Only way I can get Arma to run is running the disk thru my computer, then when the launcher says install, run game etc, eject the disc and hit run. Securom says no disc, so put disc back in and it runs!

Really weird.