Sign in to follow this  
Lange

ArmA does not start

Hi,

Fresh installed OS. An absolutely virgin of ArmA.

Installed ArmA

Installed the lates 1.05 Patch.

Started ArmA and all i get is a lowresolution fullscreened BLACK Screen with a mouse in the middle of it.

No Intro

No Game

Nothing!

Just a arma process taking ~100mb memory and full processortime of both cores.

Drivers are the latest for all enviromental devices of the machine including devices as gfx sound and so on.

I have tried running ArmA as Administrator -> No Change

I have tried running ArmA in Compatiblity Mode -> No Change

I tried using -nosplash -> no Change

I tried using -maxmem 512 -> no Change

I even reinstalled the whole game including different patch procedures (1.0 -> 1.1 -> 1.2 -> 1.05 or 1.0 -> 1.1 -> 1.05 or 1.0 -> 1.05) --> NO CHANGE!

Unneccessary to tell that other games as Steam-Based, BF2 incl all AddOns, Gothic3, Quake IV, Americas Army, STALKER, ... DO RUN properly as expected.

Only Issue is ArmA!

System Specs:

AMD Athlon64 X2 4400+

4GB RAM

ATI Radeon X1800XT 512MB

Creative AUDIGY II Platinum

MS Vista Ultimate 64bit

Any Advice but reinstalling os or downgrade to xp is welcome.

best regards

Simon

/EDIT: Almost forgot: there are no errors anywhere. Just a arma process that does nothing but putting a black fullscreen in lowres. wink_o.gif

Update:

If i apply 1.05BETA it does start. But the Resolution is pretty low and all textures of the menu are missing. i cannot set anything (gfx sound options whatsoever) since i dont see them and cannot figure out what is where since everything is just black and not textured.

Anyone?! Please!

Hi,

Installed ArmA

Started ArmA and all i get is a lowresolution fullscreened BLACK Screen with a mouse in the middle of it.

No Intro

No Game

Nothing!

Drivers are the latest for all enviromental devices of the machine including devices as gfx sound and so on.

I even reinstalled the whole game including different patch procedures (1.0 -> 1.1 -> 1.2 -> 1.05 or 1.0 -> 1.1 -> 1.05 or 1.0 -> 1.05) --> NO CHANGE!

Unneccessary to tell that other games as Steam-Based, BF2 incl all AddOns, Gothic3, Quake IV, Americas Army, STALKER, ... DO RUN properly as expected.

Only Issue is ArmA!

System Specs:

AMD Athlon64 X2 4400+

4GB RAM

ATI Radeon X1800XT 512MB

MS Vista Ultimate 64bit

best regards

Simon

/EDIT: Almost forgot: there are no errors anywhere. Just a arma process that does nothing but putting a black fullscreen in lowres. wink_o.gif

ARMA still hates Vista on some hardware setups, either your MOBO, GPU etc still has Vista Drivers that hate ARMA.

Supreme Commander should be fine ;}

Try different ATI drivers for Vista and Nforce drivers for your Mobo.

But if that doesn't work install a dual XP boot, or plonk in an old HD and shove XPSP2 on that for ARMA, Rainbow 6 etc etc and the 40-50% of unpatched XP games that still hate Vista (64 still seems to have more issues than vanilla 32 bit home).

In 6 months probably won't be an issue, but kinda nice to play stuff now wink_o.gif

Hi,

Installed ArmA

No Intro

No Game

Nothing!

Only Issue is ArmA!

System Specs:

AMD Athlon64 X2 4400+

4GB RAM

ATI Radeon X1800XT 512MB

MS Vista Ultimate 64bit

best regards

Simon

ARMA still hates Vista on some hardware setups,  either your MOBO, GPU etc still has Vista Drivers that hate ARMA.

But if that doesn't work install a dual XP boot,  or plonk in an old HD and shove XPSP2 on that for ARMA,  Rainbow 6 etc etc and the 40-50% of unpatched XP games that still hate Vista (64 still seems to have more issues than vanilla 32 bit home).

In 6 months probably won't be an issue,  but kinda nice to play stuff now wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]ARMA still hates Vista on some hardware setups, either your MOBO, GPU etc still has Vista Drivers that hate ARMA.

well mobo wontbe the issue since it is the most stable one on thr market. i prefered stability against performace. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

huh.gif

Quote[/b] ]

already tried different drivers but no change. honestly i didnt expect anyother.

mobo drivers. well. first dont have since my board is native supported by vista out of the box, 2nd this is a real nvidia free place (u remember? stability).

on the other hand: since i dont even get the menu wit 1.05 (1.05beta gets the menu but its broken) i dont see what mobo drivers or even gpu drivers have to do wit it, since u dont need shaders - not even 3d - do display a menu.

Quote[/b] ]

But if that doesn't work install a dual XP boot, or plonk in an old HD and shove XPSP2 on that for ARMA, Rainbow 6 etc etc and the 40-50% of unpatched XP games that still hate Vista (64 still seems to have more issues than vanilla 32 bit home).

well xp is no option.

Quote[/b] ]

In 6 months probably won't be an issue, but kinda nice to play stuff now wink_o.gif

aight, but the stuff isnot named arma... bf2 is running... even ofp but not arma... shameful

simon

Hi,

Installed ArmA

No Intro

No Game

Nothing!

Only Issue is ArmA!

System Specs:

AMD Athlon64 X2 4400+

4GB RAM

ATI Radeon X1800XT 512MB

MS Vista Ultimate 64bit

best regards

Simon

ARMA still hates Vista on some hardware setups,  either your MOBO, GPU etc still has Vista Drivers that hate ARMA.

But if that doesn't work install a dual XP boot,  or plonk in an old HD and shove XPSP2 on that for ARMA,  Rainbow 6 etc etc and the 40-50% of unpatched XP games that still hate Vista (64 still seems to have more issues than vanilla 32 bit home).

In 6 months probably won't be an issue,  but kinda nice to play stuff now wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]ARMA still hates Vista on some hardware setups,  either your MOBO, GPU etc still has Vista Drivers that hate ARMA.

well mobo wontbe the issue since it is the most stable one on thr market. i prefered stability against performace. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

huh.gif

Quote[/b] ]

already tried different drivers but no change. honestly i didnt expect anyother.

mobo drivers. well. first dont have since my board is native supported by vista out of the box, 2nd this is a real nvidia free place (u remember? stability).

on the other hand: since i dont even get the menu wit 1.05 (1.05beta gets the menu but its broken) i dont see what mobo drivers or even gpu drivers have to do wit it, since u dont need shaders - not even 3d - do display a menu.

Quote[/b] ]

well xp is no option.

Quote[/b] ]

aight, but the stuff isnot named arma... bf2 is running... even ofp but not arma... shameful

simon

A few Vista 64 users have ARMA running fine, so there is something in your hardware that is not happy in Vista under load (eg ARMA).

ARMA is in the supreme commander league of being able to humble even the very best Dell XPS or Alienware PC available.

I would keep hunting BIOS updates for your Mobo, suddenley ARMA may start working. I would also try beta ATI drivers from 3d guru for your ATI card.

To be honest its your mobo or GPU that should be causing this, its possible a soundcard issue may be at fault but no 3d display points the finger at the GPU the most.

In the meantime go buy Supremme Commander the only game so far that works faster under vista ;}

The menu shows a 3d world in the background so "no menu" I would really suspect its the video card drivers.

Quote[/b] ]A few Vista 64 users have ARMA running fine, so there is something in your hardware that is not happy in Vista under load (eg ARMA).

a few but not all. i did found several threads havin similar issues and no solution so far. my hardware had no issue. and please explain me the "load" when starting the game! (load caused by what? a prerendered lowres animation of the publisher? displaying a gamemenu?! you cant be serious!wink_o.gif

as written i have other load causing games running and not one has similar or just nearly similar symptoms as ArmA.

Quote[/b] ]

ARMA is in the supreme commander league of being able to humble even the very best Dell XPS or Alienware PC available.

thank god that i would never buy such crap hardware of dell or alienware. wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

I would keep hunting BIOS updates for your Mobo,

hmm and why should a mobo bios affect arma?! especially under vista?! under xp it did run (although i never had tried 1.05 since it wasnt there when i bought arma, only 1.01 were available that time) will you tell us that arma does access the hardware layer of any device including the mobo chipset? (if so, shoot the developers!wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

suddenley ARMA may start working. I would also try beta ATI drivers from 3d guru for your ATI card.

i already tried several drivers but no change there (as expected)

Quote[/b] ]

To be honest its your mobo or GPU that should be causing this, its possible a soundcard issue may be at fault but no 3d display points the finger at the GPU the most.

well since there is no sound or any other gfx when STARTING the game (i do not even get the animation of the publisher/studio) - all i get is a black screen. only the beta patch passes the start (but without any publisher/studio intro) and displaying an untextured menu which is working but since it is untextured you cannot use it since u dont know what is what. wink_o.gif

i can easely exclude gpu and mobo since the same hardware under xp works with arma. under vista there are no special drivers neccessary for the mobo. so forget the mobo path - its a dead end. the gpu - well, possible but since other ppl have the same gpu including same drivers and running arma i guess there must be some other source of the problem (copyprotection?).

i read meanwhile that arma has *laughing* problems with multihead setups, so i did try to disable second and third display but that did not change anything too.

maybe some of the ppl running the game with similar hardware may post what ati driver exactly they are using, if they switch somethnig off for the game, if they tried to configure the game by hand and not via the menu, special startup parameters.

in the english forums i found a guy havin exactly the same hardware as i have but the amount of memory (he had only 2gb) and it did work. he had the SAME configuration as i have including (btw) the mobo bios version and he didnt use any mobo drivers as well since it is not neccessary because MS does support our board natively.

ONLY difference was he was using 1.06 since he is in the US. im from germany and im stucked with 1.05 or 1.05beta.

Quote[/b] ]

In the meantime go buy Supremme Commander the only game so far that works faster under vista ;}

NACK, lots of games are running smoother. btw: i dont even know supreme commander so i guess its not worth lookin at. biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

The menu shows a 3d world in the background so "no menu" I would really suspect its the video card drivers.

thats why i tried them. but the mainproblem ist the start itself and THERE is no 3d world not even anything comparible. i get the checked boxes - then the screen becomes black (lowres fullscreen) and the mouse is in the middle. then nothing happens. the process does not respond anymore but does not crash. it does not try to load the game or its content - no diskactivity at all.

only change was 1.05beta but that had the menu issue. wink_o.gif

you see it seems its THIS TIME a lil bit more complicated as blaming the hardware. its the game, dude. wink_o.gif

Simon