Sign in to follow this  
Dark Angel 0

Infinite area triggers

I've noticed lately that the area (radius) of triggers matters only when there is a 'this' in the condition line. I guess that applies to the rest of the editor-set settings too (activated by, etc). But it's a quite simple in-editor way for making simple if statements (a trigger is essentially an if statement), at least without the added worry of the tested units having to be inside the trigger's radius.

Are there any downsides to making triggers infinite (e.g. replacing the 'this' in the condition line with your condition, which makes the trigger fire even when the condition happens outside of the trigger's area)?

I use plenty of triggers that do this, such as getting a trigger to fire when a certain unit dies or making it trigger when someother conditional statement happens. I use mine to have several different ways to end a mission for example.

The only downside is that triggers covering large regions do permanently check on the conditions you gave them within the given radius, so this can cause CPU load depending on what you are checking and how big the size of the trigger is.

I found it to be more efficient to have triggers with a radius of 0 but with a comprehensive condition line to be met. They seem to be working more efficient, but this could also be just a wrong personal impression.