Sign in to follow this  
Odie3

SQUAD.XML

I am looking for information about how to create this SQUAD.XML and supporting graphics for ArmA.

Any full example files? Any special tools perhaps to help create this?

Ya been there but it really does not work with ArmA. I ended up getting a squad.xml file from 6th sense site and then finding out that getting the Logo to work in game does not even work.

Perhaps if BIS put up something at the Wiki *that* would be faster.

The below works for text information, however do not waste your time on the picture. Also, I believe you need two other files, squad.xsl and squad.dtd. These can be found at The Avonlady. However, the example squad.xml only worked for the member section and not the squad section.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<?DOCTYPE squad SYSTEM "squad.dtd"?>

<?xml-stylesheet href="squad.xsl?" type="text/xsl"?>

<squad nick="{GD}">

<name>Ghost Dogs - Semper Fidelis!</name>

<email>ghostdogs*at*ghostdogs.net</email>

<web>http://www.ghostdogs.net</web>

<picture></picture>

<title>We don't die, We regroup in Hell</title>

<member id="XXXXXX" nick="ODIE3">

<name>{GD}ODIE3-XO</name>

<email>odie3*at*ghostdogs.net</email>

<icq>4802864</icq>

<remark>Medic, AT, Helo Pilot</remark>

</member>

</squad>

My pic works on vehicles but shows up as a black box in the player's screen. I'm sure that this is a bug that will be fixed soon.

You don't need the dtd or xsl, but if you don't upload them, you need to remove their references within the xml file.

I have some info on this at my website:

http://jd.shots.googlepages.com/

That is a nice right up JDshots, you should transfer that information to the wiki!

However, I get an error when I connect to a server, "Cant load texture \squads\{GD}\logo.paa"

Do you get that? Because my logo is not showing up on vehicles and of course I am getting a black box when you hit "p".

Ya, if I start a "new" server from my client the logo works on vehicles but no from the "p" players list. I also do not get a texture error.

When I connect to my Dedicated Internet server, I get the error and the logo does not show up anywhere [either on vehicles or the players list].

Edit:

Question, do other clients see the same error as I do? Or am I the only one that would see my squad logo? While I can live with the error I would not want to force the error on other players.

Question, do other clients see the same error as I do? Or am I the only one that would see my squad logo? While I can live with the error I would not want to force the error on other players.

Yes. I get these errors every now and then when connecting on public ArmA servers, at this point it is just better to leave squad logo out.

I had to remove the pic because other players complained about the error.

I have the new paa plug in for Photoshop and will fuss with it when I can. Maybe that will help. Could just be another bug.

Works on vehicles but not when you hit "p". So its half fixed and there is no error. Better than nothing....

I have been trying to get the logos to work correctly on the player info screen. I have tried many different file formats, jpeg, paa/pac, png, tga, and gif none of them work. I saw somewhere that this was due to missing directX info in the old OFP paa/pac format. This is what I started to assume untill I decided to open a BIS pbo and do a test with the BMP icon. I knew it would have transparency so it would be good to test assuming it had that extra directX info in the file. Well damn me if it didnt do the exact same thing as a OFP paa/pac file. The same black alpha channel showing when you press "P". Im beginning to think that maybe that overlay dialog we see when pressing "P" isnt capeable of displaying colors other than green, black, and yellow. Has anyone seen the squad logo display correctly when viewing the player info screen?

With 1.02 it still doesn't display properly on player screen but logos work fine in vehicles and errors about missing texture on joining server are gone. I've only tested .paa texture yet though.