Sign in to follow this  
Dr.Grant

Crashing/Freezing + sound problem

hi guys,

i know this has been asked over a zillion times and ive searched the forums but most of the information i get confuses me cuz there seem to be 611021 solutions.

Here's the deal:

When i play ofp it goes alright, till a certain point (after like 5minutes). Then the image freezes (still get sound) and

1. my pc crashes back to desktop with the windows error message n stuff

or

2. my screen goes black, sound is gone and my pc vent goes crazy

3. get a blue screen with a bunch of information but the most intresting line is the one with program/device that failed, it says "nv4_disp"

IF i crash to desktop my pc crashes several minutes later anyways. When i try to restart the game before that crash happens i get the no 3d device error.. ya know..

this is my main problem

second, when there are a lot of explosion n stuff my sound just goes dead and stays that way till i reboot pc. Also it always happens when u crush a bush/tree.. i can hear like 0.2425 second of the sound, then everything is gone..

any help here woudl be hot guys

cheers

Humvee

Well, I know your probably desperate and need some help. Here's my suggestion.

Take your computer case apart and blow out all the dust and dirt and really cleant the hell out of it. There'sa good chance you are overheating...

I know what your saying to yourself:

"none of my other games are crashing... my computer is stable, I stress tested it, etc..."

Guess what, I've gone through the same thing. I built new omputers, tested them, ran prime 95 overnight, etc. Everything's fine. But OFP caused crashes. When I'd check the temps they'd be higher than from any of the other stress tests I've ever done. What I am saying is OFP is like.. the ultimate test of stability on a computer. It is MY torture test. When I want to be sure a computer is stable, I run ofp 24 hours on it.

In any case if you are over clocked, try backing off a few MHZ. Get a program to check your before and after playing temps and compare them. A little cleaning of your computer can go a long way.

Then again, this may have nothing to do with your problem.

"nv4_disp" means, it has something to do with your nvidia graphics card(Geforce).

First check the fan of your card. Is it clean, does it spin?

If you have a GeForce 5900XT or newer, you can take a look at the temp's in your display properties:

nv_temp.jpg

Second, check the driver version.

If it's too old, download this:

-> NVIDIA driver for Win2K or WinXP <-

MfG Lee

yeah.. forgot to tell.. i've downloaded the latest version.. and my videocars is an Nvidia 6610 XL

I'm like already on 81C :s when nothing is running except for internet n msn :s

and when i play a low graph online rpg its already at 103 (in the red)

and sorry for the dubble post sad_o.gif

whoah, 81 degrees celcius? that's seems really high. Every card has its own tolerances for how high it can go.

As an experiment, open your case take a house fan blow the fan directly over the video card. See if that lowers it, Then see how long you can play with the fan blowing into your comp. If its lasting a lot longer, you may need to see what you can do about your airflow in your case.

my tolerance is set on 127C

but i think ive fixed the problem (though im still gonna clean my card as those high temps aren't really normal) just by clicking "autodetect" on the flashpoint preferences.. i was able to play the game for like 15mins without crashing(fifn(t have time to test longer) but normally it crashed after 5 mins or so

cheers wink_o.gif