Sign in to follow this  
amoult

about running dedicated server

How fast machine I need to run dedicated server? I have mu trusty old backup machine connected to the net as well, wich I could use, but its quite slow :/

800+ mhz for 8 ppl 128+ megs ram

the higher you go the more you can have, less you have less ppl (one could almost say 1-2 pers per every 100 mhz depending on net speed)

DSL can handle 6-10 with no lag

Cable 8-12

depending on ISP

more with T1's ect

on a lan you can get 12+

..so any change to run dedi for 2-3 players w/ p200 w/ 256 mb ram / 256/128 kbit/s connection? ..I tought the server would not be running any graphics but just sending info about the game state to clients. Is this correct?

hi, well... this depends also of the type of mission you wish to run... coop missions need a lot of CPU from the server, 'cause the server manages all the IAs...

as an example: a PIII750@825 is sometimes too slow to handle 'medium' coops... well the simplest is to try, and use the #monitor to see what's happening on the server...

the 'CPU' number shows you if your comptuer is fast enough... BIS put a cap at 50 FPS... if you're below, the CPU is too slow, if you're at 50, the CPU is fine... the lower the number, the lagger the game... smile.gif

I don't speak about network here, but #monitor shows you also this... you should look at the 'out' number to see if your network connection provides enough bandwidth...

C U :cool: