Sign in to follow this  
Greg

1.4 Single player bugs

Decided to play the campaign again with v1.4, also have an upgraded system which may make it more enjoyable. Feel free to confirm, deny or ignore this list:

1) The Yellow marker that points to your current objective often points to the wrong location. It usually gets corrected some time later. Eg. Says 'mount vehicle' at a spot on the ground a long way from the vehicle you should mount.

2) I now have Geforce3ti and I often see a very green tinge in one part of the sky, during sunrise I think. This may not be a bug, but I never noticed it before.

3) The Cesna plane bobs up and down while flying and in one user made mission crashes into a mountain before reaching its destination. This didn't happen before v1.3.

4) Massive slow downs on some maps only. I am not far through the campaign, but some of the user maps (BeachLandings2 comes to mind) used to play smooth but are now totally unplayable due to frame rate issues <10fps used to be >30fps. Most maps have no noticable slowdown, so it appears to be some specific content that is causing the problem.

5) In one (early campaign) cut scene a helicopter used to appear on ground, or land. Now it drops from the sky, lands on its nose and sticks out of the ground. The troops still board and take off with it. There appears to be some issues with air vehicle spawning and/or landing.

6) Not sure if this is a bug or mission design. Quite a few times since v1.3 I have seen helicopters just sitting in the air doing nothing. I have also seen them crash into the ground without obvious reason. Could be related to (5).

Misc Suggestions:

1) When people talk to you, the voice should be at some minimum level so you can hear them even if you are not nearby and facing. This is noticable in some cut scenes.

2) I would love to use the blackhawk with AI team members effectively manning the mounted machine guns, but they never shoot properly and if I let them fly, I can't shoot properly due to their maneuvering.

3) How about a new option in the 'cadet' options that allows save at any time, off by default. Surely this will make many smile.

That's all I can remember, I usually write these things down as I see them but not this time.

Just remembered a few more things:

Refering to (5), I notice when vehicles spawn they appear some distance above the ground and drop onto it, only problem is they sometimes roll over or stick in the ground and look silly.

1) When looking through the window of the jeep, you can not see some objects as the window texture is apparently writting to the depth buffer and occluding distant objects.

2) One of the early campaign missions reports a missing file. Unfortunately I didn't write the name down and don't feel like restarting. Before starting the campaign, I reinstalled OFP (deleting remaining old files) and installed patches in order. I shouldn't be missing files. The missing file may have been a sound file.

Sorry about the vague report. I was hoping others playing the campaign might confirm these things so they can be fixed in the future.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Greg @ Jan. 13 2002,07:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">2) I now have Geforce3ti and I often see a very green tinge in one part of  the sky, during sunrise I think.  This may not be a bug, but I never noticed it before.<span id='postcolor'>

I have Riva TNT2 M64 with 32mb RAM onboard video, and until 1.40 I have *never* experienced this problem.

Since 1.40, when flying a chopper or airplane sometimes I see a green surface in the sky. I am not sure under which conditions this happens.

I would like to add the following:

1) Vehicles are bouncing when you shoot at them

(will not be fixed in the next patch, maybe in a later patch, according to the developers)

2) AI soldiers seem to have problems with navigating through forests sometimes. I have experienced this once when I was pilot on a chopper (AH64) and ordered my gunner (AI) to eject. I also ejected and began a search for my gunner. I couldn't find him, so I gave him a move order. He answered negative. After 2 minutes, I finally found him at the border of the forest. He had a direct line of sight with no obvious obstructions in his path, but he couldn't get to me.

3) The radio voice seems to go wrong sometimes. This happens in Singleplayer only so far. Parts of messages are repeated (I do not mean the 'damn, x is down' repeating message bug) for example 'ONE, POSITION Dee34' (extra 'e'). I am not sure under which conditions these happens, but I experience this since 1.00 I think. It might be related to my system, since other users have not reported this bug.

My system: PIII 500 Mhz, 192 MB SDRAM, Creative PCI 128 onboard, WD 13 gb harddisk with 1,5 gb free

Played the first few tank missions in the campaign now. 'Fire' and 'move' behave differently. In the older versions you could lock and fire on just about anything dead or alive. Now if you lock even a live target and it gets killed while you are aiming, pressing fire immediately 'moves to...' even though the target is still locked. If I configure the controls and manually set the 'fire' control to Primary Mouse Button, it will fire at anything I want, but it STILL issues the 'move' command at the same time. This is all from the commander view BTW.

A note about bug(1) on my second post, it appears that even the smoke prevents objects behind from being displayed, even other smoke puffs. This has the effect of thick smoke showing transparent 'halos' that look right through the smoke. Looks a bit silly.