Sign in to follow this  
heyvern69

Version 1.4 Joystick Bugs

1) Throttle axis is still incorrect for planes (correct for helicopters though).  We need a "reverse axis" option in the setup for when we fly planes verus helicopters.

2) Sensitivities.  Throttle is too sensitive on certain joysticks (like mine).  Moving the throttle a TINY amount often translates into sudden and drastic increases or decreases in altitude. Just like the mouse setup currently has a sensitivity slider, the throttle and/or joystick needs a sensitivity slider.

3) Auto-Centering Joysticks.  The mouse is still smoother for flying than the joystick.  This is because a joystick auto-centers (the joystick springs bounce the joystick back to the center when you let go of the joystick, or when you decrease pressure in a certain direction).  AND when the joystick auto-centers, it pulls the nose of the helo back to level flight.  But the mouse does not automatically slide back to a "center" position, because a mouse obviously has NO center position, and no springs to pop it back to the center of your desk.  Therefore, the mouse can help maintain a slight nose down position, which keeps the chopper moving forward easier than the joystick.  Thus, the joystick settings needs some way to decrease or remove the affect of auto-centering.

1) Agreed

2) Also agreed. I don't have much trouble with it, but I have a large HOTAS throttle. I would imagine it would be a real pain with anything smaller...

3) I'm not sure what your complaint is here. Of course things change when you let the stick go back to the center. Every sim I have played has been like this. This is what you would expect from a real airplane (don't know about a real chopper). I don't think the problem is with the joystick settings, but rather the lack of a trim control. Of course, trim would be most useful for level cruise flight, not the low, terrain-hugging flying that is typical for OFP. It seems easy enough to stay at tree-top level when flying in OFP...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (zovirl @ Jan. 07 2002,08:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Of course things change when you let the stick go back to the center.  Every sim I have played has been like this.  <span id='postcolor'>

NOT every sim I've played has been like this.

If I move the stick forward in some chopper sims, the helo moves forward, and if I let go of the stick and bring the stick back to dead center, the helo still stays leaned nose forward, UNTIL I pull the stick back beyond center, and then the helo noses up.

Yes, trim tabs do a similar thing.

Just to add my .02:

I hate using the mouse because sometimes, I'd like my gunner to target something that is a) too small (i.e. soldier) or b) non-moving vehicle (shows up as white). WHen I get in a chopper, I press the "*" key right away to disable mouse look and use the mouse to target "non-targetable" targets...

Yep. Of the 3 items above, number 3 is the least important.

#1 is a really BIG bug that should be officially acknowledged by BIS and put on high priority to fix in a patch.

#2 is important also. The throttle sensitivity, and the flight model, could use any and all the improvements that BIS can possibly throw at it.

I DON'T feel that BIS should model complex and very negative aspects of a flight model, such as "vortex ring". But complex flight models, without the biggest of negative factors, are still easy enough for arcade game fans to learn and quickly adjust to.

Over the years, I've found that complex flight sim avionics turn gamers off, while complex & realistic flight models do not.

One of my biggest arcade game fan friends can quickly and easily learn to deal with a complex flight model. However, he sure as #### won't read the manual and learn all the various instruments and key-presses. IMHO, many gamers are like that.

The ZSU's & 50 Cals shooting through entire forrests is my next biggest beef, besides these joystick bugs.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Heyvern @ Jan. 07 2002,22:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">NOT every sim I've played has been like this.<span id='postcolor'>

Hmm, guess I need to play some more simes smile.gif

*BUMP*

At the very least, that Throttle option for PLANES needs to be fixed soon.

Preferrably Throttle sensitivity would be looked into also!

And if you could stop that ZSU from shooting straight through entire forrests and towns, I'd let you have my first-born son.