Sign in to follow this  
darkpeace

High Pingers as Commander, Driver, Pilot, Gunner

High Pingers as Commander, Driver, Pilot, Gunner

Bug or MP Syncing Feature ?

Eg: If a Driver/Pilot, Gunner or Commander has a high ping it appears 'rolls over' to anyone else trying to get in or out of the vehicle.

If you are a high pinger and go Driver, Gunner, Pilot, Commander, then anyone with ping lower than you, or a datarate higher than you appears to get stuck in the cargo esp if your connection starts screwing around speed wise, and the server sending your low speed link more data than it can handle.

Is this a Bug that can be fixed, or a MY Syncing Feature ?

From my Bugs in Flashpoint list:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If a player gets 'Lossing Connection..." then drops out, due to bad ping and desync, no one in their vehicle can do shit (eg: eject be the high pinger crashes the chopper do to lag), as all the players are ment to be in sync, and due to the 90sec time out, it takes 90sec for them to drop and the chopper to crash, killing everyone, Team Kill style. This normally results in a ban, and with good reason.

Is there a way to over-ride the 90sec timeout, so they still get their 90sec, but if it occurs then everyone can just eject or disembark (damage free, as taking damage from a lag induced event is pure folly)

Also with the above feature change / bug fix, you you increase the timeout timer, or let the server admin set it to as low as 15 sec, and as high as 10 minutes (hey it could be helpdul to some, for testing at least)

Would be nice to be able to set a 5 minute timeout value, as sometimes ADSL can take a long time to retrain (over 90sec_ the connection, or may experience intermittent drop-outs lasting 5+ minutes while the Telcos are dicking around.

Normally you reconnect with the same IP address anyway so I don't see it being an issue.

Also, on that note, would it be possible while changing / fixing the above, to have different IP address 'reconnect' (or re-establish a timing out connection) to a player, so long as the playername and player-id match the one the server is expecting to time out, due to lack of, or no dataflow ?

Would be very good to see some extra dial-up players online, you know how they like to complain and all ?

(Also a 15sec time-out could be useful too.....for the same reasons, personally I would use a 5 minute timeout)

Be nice to have the timeout, and related settings configurable by the admin.

Surely this would only need a few basic changes to the the OFPR_Server source code, and maybe, if any, slight changes to the client ?

(Whats another version anyway, 1.97 Beta with new improved netcode, everyone wants it anyway)

...(Whats another version anyway, 1.97 Beta with new improved netcode, everyone wants it anyway)

Honestly i just want BIS to forget about OFP1 and finish the X-box version, then start work on making OFP2 the best game ever  smile_o.gif

1.96 was a good patch, and it took a while to get "official"

If BIS were to release a patch for every single bug or something extra we want, they wouldnt get any work done now would they?

Reason I ask is that the VBS1 ADFA Servers are running a 1.97 server core.....at least 2 of them are I know.

Also if the X-Box version was not to have 'this lag vehicle bug' that has been ever present.... and is meant to be compatible with Flashpoint 1.96RC servers.... then why not just fix the bug in both versions and work on OFP2.

It would not need much chaning, given the source I could pull it off (I think) within a month, if that (less with a team)

I mean I paid for Gold, Resistance, GOTY, and I don't expect more support, but they did make some cash out of me :P, I woudln't mind seeing it go into 4 hours of coding.

Anyways, I have a feeling that X-Box will not be hostable (who has the 4mbps upload they would need ?), then again if a bunch of 12yo get it for their X-Box, alot of server admins will want to ban or block all X-Box players straight out, and we'll find (or code) a way, IF they can even connect in the first place due to possible differences in netcode.

this is an old dead issue that was fixed with 1.85

how do you fix a lagged player?

you cant

but you can kick him smile_o.gif

It doesn't say anywhere in the change history that it was fixed ?

And it is still happening on a pure 1.96 server (all clients and sever are 1.96) only if 1 player as Driver/Pilot has a bad ping, it 'carries over' to the over players in that vehicle.

I even explained how to recreate the error on a LAN.

Try it, it was never fixed

I know many issues with 1.85 joining 1.91 servers, but down here in Australia everyones server runs the latest Beta (that we can get our hands on) within 2 weeks of it coming out.

Heck since the 1.92 to 1.94 netcode no 1.91 or below player could join, although heaps would try.

I pitty the fool who doesn't update his software beyond 1.85.

They even 'fixed' the terrain lighting in later betas, then made 1.96 an offical release candidate.

Surely if it is a release candidate they are still taking bug submissions ?

...Surely if it is a release candidate they are still taking bug submissions ?

Yes it was a release candidate, but then it went official and final as you can see here.

Well there you go, and I was thinking it was still 1.96 RC as all the files are identical.

Oh well, either way I have seen 1.97 VBS1 (ADFA VESL) servers online so there must be some improvements to still be made in the core.

Yes, I'm sure there are some nice improvements on vbs1 that were meant for ofp in the first place but I don't blame bis or bia cos I would do the same. Why do it for free when you can get money off it wink_o.gif

And besides some annoying server related difficulties we had a lot of fun with ofp the last years.