Sign in to follow this  
AdmiralKarlDonuts

Morale script

So I talked about a stamina script a while ago and Spinor managed to whip up something that altered a unit's skill based on loadout, speed and posture.

I got to thinking...how about a morale script?

My idea (I can't script this but someone might find it really useful) is to weigh a bunch of factors and derive an overall "morale" rating for the individual soldiers.  As OFP stands now, a soldier will always perform the same way no matter what the circumstances.  This script would alter his skill and the collective courage of the squad.  For example, a soldier with good morale would be at his normal skill, whatever that is.  If all the soldiers in a squad are at good morale, the overall morale of the squad would be high, thus meaning that the group's courage would be high.  

Anyway, here are some factors that could be used in a basic version of this script - for the individual soldiers:

- ammo:  if the soldier is low on ammo (however OFP determines this), then his morale goes down a bit.

- stamina: spinor's script already calculates this, but for this script it would not affect the skill on its own - this result would be another factor.

[here's a link to the stamina script so that it can be incorporated here:]

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....t=36657

So take a look at Spinor's script, then see if you can apply the same idea to this morale script.  Obviously the rate of fatigue in his script would be made much lower so that the AI wouldn't be sitting down and having a rest.

Basically take the results from the computation of the factors you choose to include, then use the combination of the factors to arrive at a morale modifier. Simple, right?

I dunno, maybe this is impossible, but I figured I'd throw the idea out there in case someone was interested smile_o.gif

Funny you asked....

I was working on a morale script earlier this month for private use, but it is still very buggy and it takes into account several factors like:

Enemy Distance (I used Average distance of all known enemies)

Strength of enemy vs. Friendly strength.

(I made AI overvalue friendly strength...)

Average damage of the group.

And a bias value of sorts... This bias is supposed to account for things like low ammo (haven't implemented this yet), current state etc...

I made it affect what "scripted" behaviours I have made available to the AI, but the system is still not too reliable, the AI will surrender inappropriately... etc...

I don't think it can really be used in MP, but does it makes the AI a *little* bit smarter in SP, though it is still as blind as a bat esp. in CQB. The script lags because of the amount of functions I use.

I'll post a skeleton of my system (don't think I'll finish it, ever!) if anyone is interested, and some related functions.