Sign in to follow this  
BrotherBlades

Sick server

Hi,

I am the proud owner of a sick server. It it a 2.4 GHz P4 with 512 MB of Ram and tons of bandwidth. Should be giving me great FPS numbers shouldn't it? Wrong. When about 5 people are playing on a regular map, we get between 10-20 FPS. When I open the server up for Battlefield 1985 and get 20+ people playing, the server hovers around 2 FPS. CPU runs at 85%, and bandwidth out is around 800 kps. Memory allocation is around 250 MB.

It is a Suse 8.1 Linux system.

Here are the extracts from my server.cfg:

MaxMsgSend = 640;

MinBandwith = 52428800;

MaxBandwith = 83886080;

MaxSizeGuaranteed = 512;

Frame_Rate_Pref="500";

and from UserInfo.cfg:

frameRate=15.000000;

visualQuality=0.093750;

objectShadows=0;

vehicleShadows=1;

cloudlets=1;

viewDistance=900.000000;

terrainGrid=25.000000;

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Cheers,

Bladsey

MinBandwidth =<bottom_limit>; Bandwidth the server is guaranteed to have (in bps). This value helps server to estimate bandwidth available. Increasing it to too optimistic values can increase lag and CPU load, as too many messages will be sent but discarded.Default: 131072

if you have an actual 100 mbit line use this

MaxMsgSend=1024;  // was 512

MinBandwidth=7680000; // was 5120000

MaxBandwidth=10240000;  // was 5120000

if you dont have any luck try the 512 settings, the user config does not change any server setings other then game options for players, and you dont have those listed, also try understaning hex number formats, those look more like random #s and are waaaaaay to high (ecept MaxMsgSend=)

every server admin has his preferences, but these should help

Here is a tip:

The bandwidth commands go in flashpoint.cfg not server.cfg as I pointed out to everyone in the 'MutliThreaded server - will it ever happen ?' thread.

The other server commands go into your custom server.cfg (or whatever name it has)

See DS-ADMIN.RTF if you don't believe me

Failing that ask Suma, he said it was just a Placebo effect. If an admin thinks they are actually seeing benefit from using the commands in server.cfg (not flashpoint.cfg as DS-ADMIN.RTF states) then Suma claimed that they are mistaken (as above see my post 'MutliThreaded server - will it ever happen ?, where Suma replied and pretty much the same was said)

UPDATE: 768kbps in 'hex' CPU friendly format is 786432 bps

Multiply 'Kbps' by 1024 for 'bps' that are more CPU friendly.

For 'Mbps' multiply by 1048576 for 'bps' figured that are more CPU friendly (better add this to my personal FAQ)

UPDATE2:

MaxMsgSend = 640;

MinBandwith = 52428800;

MaxBandwith = 83886080;

MaxSizeGuaranteed = 512;

Holy crap, thats telling the server to actually use more than 50% of the 100mbps link, do all yours players have 10mbps links or something ?

You would need something in the order of a 40 Ghz Pentium 4, or a 27 Ghz Athlon 64FX to host that.

And, no, the server will not thread over 32 CPUs either.

Also if a 100mbps link (backbone or otherwise) has a usage over 40% (ever) it will increase ping times by quite a margin indeed my friend.

Try these first, and work from there:

MaxMsgSend=768; // (Or more for a MFCTI Server)

MaxSizeGuaranteed=1280; // (About right)

MaxSizeNonguaranteed =768; (About right)

MinBandwidth 1048576; (1mbps, uses little CPU on server)

MaxBandwidth=4194304; (4mbps, uses medi CPU on server)

MinErrorToSend=0.01 // (Try 0.10 to 0.001)

MaxCustomFileSize=0 // Or 65,536 max*

(* - if you want custom faces, sounds, etc to be usage, bear in mind they burn bandwidth.)

These are the settings I recommend everyone try first.

I mean Holy **** !, over 50mbps minimum for a server AT ALL is just LOCO DUDE, that would hammer CPU, and server FPS would suffer, like well below 15fps, heck below 5fps is just lag (well CPU induced desync to be accurate) city.

if you are going to post replies to help some one out waiting over a month is a little pointless smile_o.gif

Yeah, but it helps anyone else, just 'browsing' the forums smile_o.gif

Maybe they are still subscribied to the post, prob not though...