Sign in to follow this  
MajHavoc

Gamers Against Terrorism

You know what day I can't wait for? The day we have unmanned craft. At this time the best gamers can play for real. It will put a new meaning to the phrase armchair warriors.

Nothing like sending some hot steal at some terrorists.

You know I am surprised that we have not heard of any bounty hunting from resident snipers. I know with that bounty it would be tempting.

I think instead of "Race around the world" there should be a new TV show called "bounty". They arm anyone willing and drop them into Afghanistan. Talk about real TV.

Of course the contestants might not be around next season but that is the risk of fame.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from MoatnGator2 on 6:28 pm on Nov. 23, 2001

You know what day I can't wait for? The day we have unmanned craft.  At this time the best gamers can play for real.  It will put a new meaning to the phrase armchair warriors.

Nothing like sending some hot steal at some terrorists.

You know I am surprised that we have not heard of any bounty hunting from resident snipers.  I know with that bounty it would be tempting.

I think instead of "Race around the world" there should be a new TV show called "bounty".  They arm anyone willing and drop them into Afghanistan.  Talk about real TV.

Of course the contestants might not be around next season but that is the risk of fame.<span id='postcolor'>

Heh!

/0

Maj

It will if you give em man-portable nukes and 20mm Sniper Rifles!

most f**king pathetic movement i've seen yet. So how are you wheelchair commandoes are going to "fight terrorism"? i seriously laughed for half an hour when i first saw "the movement". want to "fight terroristm" then leave that sticky keyboard and join the army. Playing counter-strike 5 nights in a row and "KiLlInG L337 TerRoR D00Dz" doesnt help any. Gamers against terrorism, good joke but nothing more.

Oh and why do you have AK47 on your symbol? Another bastion of ignorance (AK47 being a "terrorist gun").

Well said Kretchet1

I agree 100%

There is a fine line between reality and daydreaming.

This is daydreaming.

People take gaming as serious activity nowdays...

Next thing they'll be doing is forming political parties.

Join NNLF(national nerd liberation front)! Join the fight! Che Guvera...ahem... i meant Goosman aka Minh Lee aka "Havent had a shower for a while" will be proud of you!

Not that I disagree with the war against terrorism, but it occured to me that any mission, mod etc. made about the war, could just as easily be used by the terrorists to train and support their fight, just as they did with MS Flight Simulator.  

BIS is making a program similar to OFP for the US and Australian military to help train infantry in squad tactics. OFP and other similar games could be be used as a demonstrator of US tactics and combat methods.

(Edited by Anathema at 11:08 am on Nov. 24, 2001)

They woulden't have learnt alot from FS2000 really...

They gained most their skills from the Real flight simulator

FS series is just a game... Its not accurate and not proffesional. Otherwise it would cost 500 dollars or more.

It's a Game... A Flight Simulating game.

At that... It's brilliant

It would take BIS ages to make a war simulator that an army could use.

There is so much more to combat than OFP or the engine at its current state could provide.. Its too inaccurate..

Obviously OFP is not as realistic as a professional sim, it is a game remember, I was merely pointing out that it might be of some use in tatical training, but it doesn't teach you to drive a tank in real life, let alone a plane!

As for the military simulator its not based on the OFP engine, but is much more complex, detailed and realistic, its designed for the really high end hardware, like a 747 simulator. A lot as has been said about it int various forums, and the website (http://www.virtualbattlefieldsystem.com) was shut after a lot of enquiries to BIS about it from OFP fans.

Try searching the this forum and OFPediting Centre for "vbs". Here a quote from one post (I think its from the VBS website prior to closure)

"Virtual Tactical Battlefield Training Simulator - VBS1

Tactical Combat Training in a fixed environment of mapping in areas up to 144 square kilometres of high-detail outdoor environments.

In this application new and experienced Commanders and troops would be shown correct & new procedures of field training in a classroom prior to exercises. This would be part of training schedule and debriefing tools. Any type of environment can be simulated. VBS1 is by far the most advanced Combat Simulator to date, its endless list of features make it truly unique and completely in a class of its own.

Virtual War Gaming interfaced with VBS1

This Application will enable teams to fight / train in 3D worlds generated from the VBS1 Map Data in an area of 144 square kilometres through the advanced Virtual Battlefield Networking (VBN). The Virtual Battlefield System would incorporate Infantry, Armour, Air & limited Naval. Complete battles can be programmed in vast complexity to re-create any war time scenario.

The Opportunity to Partnership with Existing Command & Control Applications

The opportunities exist to partner with a major military organization or Defense contractor. Expressions of interested welcomed.

VBS1 Features

THE VBS1 ENGINE

The Simulation Engine powering VBS1 is certainly impressive and is capable of rendering some of the most beautiful and realistic landscapes yet seen in a Simulator. We have paid great attention to the models, making sure each vehicle mirrors it's real-life counterpart in every detail.

We have also developed our own motion capture technology, which is being handled by a separate dedicated animation team within BIS, to make sure all the characters movements are as realistic as possible. The engine boasts some great real-time lighting effects, which are put to good use as the day slowly shifts to nighttime. The shadows will creep along the ground while an orange haze blankets the landscape, before sky fades to black and the stars slowly come into view. There is also a plethora of realistic looking weather effects such as fog, rain, and snow, which add greatly to the ambiance of an already believable world.

3D ENGINE - Real Virtuality

Proprietary 3D engine has been developed to take the user from the limited arenas of present day Simulators to large worlds with the same level of detail. The VBS1 engine is designed to handle large and complex scenerys and it is able to handle huge amount of texture data using advanced techniques in texture management. The VBS1 engine has native support for Direct 3D and GLIDE APIs.

World Dynamics

VBS1 is the total Combat Simulator where everything happens for real - including the speed of sound. You will see muzzle flashes before you hear the crack of the gun fire. You will also hear the thud of bullets striking the ground and trees around you or zipping past your position, before you hear the sound of the gun firing. Even distant explosions have accurate delayed sound carry making a very real Battlefield Environment.

Some of VBS1 Features

Large exterior world with highly detailed models.

Real-time shadows and lighting.

High resolution photo realistic textures.

Dynamic daytime and weather effects.

Lifelike smoke effects (particle system "cloudlets"

Motion captured animations.

Supports in full the latest in 3D video and audio acceleration.

New proprietary “Real Virtuality†3D Engine technology with support for Direct X and Glide API’s.

Advanced Level Of Detail (LOD) system renders far away objects in increasing detail as you approach them.

Advanced real-time simulation of wind, rain, fog, clouds, time-of-day, sunrise/sunset, tides, stars and moon. Night navigation is possible with the real-time star mapping feature.

Engine supports large number of high-resolution photo-realistic textures through advanced texture management techniques for highly-detailed environments.

Realistic Unit and NPC character movement modeled using a new human Motion-Capture System.

Inbuilt Unit voice communications using the new Direct X 8.0 Direct Voice feature set.

Support for dedicated LAN/Internet servers.

Train in 4 - 144 square kilometre, high-detail outdoor environments.

Select from 11 Unit classes of fighting Soldiers.

Create mixed squads of Human and advanced AI-controlled units in any combination.

Command up to 12 other soldiers in a squad.

Select from multiple skill-levels.

The only Combat Simulator of its Type in the world.

The ability to operate many vehicles in VBS1, Air, Land & Sea.

Huge mapping areas initially set at 144 square kilometre.

The ability to be integrated into existing Command & Control Systems.

Advanced Mission Editor makes it possible to recreate virtually any tactical simulation and training exercise imaginable.

Enemy Artificial Intelligence (AI) that is the most advanced of its type in the world.

The ability to network VBS1 to many squads in Virtual Battlefield Training from anywhere in the world.

The ability to recreate training missions and procedures from text books into a combat simulator in very little time.

VBS1 DEVELOPMENT IS 99.95% COMPLETE FOR MILITARY USE NOW!"