Sign in to follow this  
googler

Helo missions

Hi,

Im thinking of making some realistic as possible helo missions. That would entail a few things I havent been able to do in the editor yet. Maybe someone could help me?

1. The idea is to get an AI chopper to move slowly up behind the hill, then pop up over the hillcrest quickly, get a target, dofire, and hover back down behind the hillcrest.

It would be doing the targetig and firing as it hovers in place - I cant for the lifeame get the choppers to hover in place. They always fly directly over the targetzone in a highly stupid manner. "Shoot me! Please!"

2. Would it be possible through a script to hook a couple of seperately waypointed, ungrouped choppers up with an OH-58 radar? Something in tune to the way the new dkm tunguska radars work together?

Would it only work if they were all in the same group? The OH-58 wouldnt attack - he would just provide radar for the apaches, who would hover there in line formation, this flyinheight 20, and lock on with hellfires.

3. How would I get a helo to fire a specific weapon? Take BAS Blackhawks DAPs...I want em to put a hellfire somewhere but they seem to be at rockets for default.

Your help would be really appreciated and Ill share the mission later on!

See whenever you watch cnn footage the Apaches are always hovering in place about two miles from any target. They sit there, hovering at at about 20 feet, and pummel the targets from afar, out of enemy range - they dont go stupidly charging into danger with a couple million dollars equipment.

Heres a little script I found for setting the initial velocity for a chopper...could I apply this to a waypoint somehow? That way I could set the velocity at the waypoint when the apache does a "this dotarget t1", and then also set it at the next waypoint when it does a "this dofire t1", then have the apache maybe just get into a negative velocity to go backwards and back down behind the hillcrest?

heres the script, for theinitfield of an object...is there a way of applying this script to a waypoint?

v0=100; v0 = v0/3.6; dir=getDir(this);vBase = [sin(dir),cos(dir), 0]  ;this  setVelocity  [(vBase select 0)*v0,(vBase select 1) * v0, 0]; this flyinheight 10;

have a look at this OFPEC thread:-

OFPEC

It's more based on getting the copter to attack infantry but it might be useful.I've spent a while fiddling around with it by increasing the distance that the copter stands off from the unit it's attacking but it's still far from perfect.

The two main problems are that it could do with some way of ranking the targets in terms of potential threat and,more annoyingly,the copter keeps getting stuck,just hovering in one place whilst there are still enemy units alive.I think that it's trying to target the chosen enemy unit and not being able to as it's facing the wrong way so it can't kill the unit and allow the script to continue.Basically the copter needs to be told to face the enemy!

Hope that this is helpfull and if you do get a script together could you let me know as it also drives me insane when hi-tech attack copters,armed with 3 mile range missiles,go charging in like the bloody 7th cavalry crazy_o.gif

Yeah theres alot of BBC documentaries on tv about apache units nowadays. If flashpoint could follow the tactics of what the real choppers do ..weeellll ... that would open up a whole new chapter to the game!

Flashpoint also doesnt really let you fly correctly, for some reason the sidesweeping isnt fast enough, Ive never been able to properly circle around targets with my nose facing the target...its just too slow!  These things should be capable of doing like 150 going sideways at least, and that in a circular orbit around their targets...always facing it, fireing

Mix it with a pilot rescue script,

have a look at this OFPEC thread:-

OFPEC

Basically the copter needs to be told to face the enemy!

hmm

cant you tell it to just dotarget?

Dotarget is part of the script but for some reason it doen't seem to help.The copter will target and kill a few units,and you can see it adjust itself to hit them,then it seems to get stuck and just hovers there sad_o.gif