Sign in to follow this  
Drewus

MAJOR news on the e-mail virus being sent around!

I was talking with a friend of mine today about how i have been receiving e-mail viruses throughout the past couple of weeks. He then pointed out that his father has infact received the same e-mails that I have been receiving even though he has nothing to do with the Op Flash forums at all.

I took a look into this and had a look at the Kaspersky AVP site. It turns out that the virus has been infecting people world wide for the past couple of days.

check out the below links to read up more on the situation.

http://www.viruslist.com/eng/VirusList.asp?page=0&mode=1&id=4310&key=00001000130000100112

and

http://www.kaspersky.com/news.asp?tnews=0&nview=1&id=259&page=

I apologise to anyone who has already pointed this out but i was thinking at the time that it was only within the Op Flash community, seeing as how alot of people here were receiving the email.

As soon as he mentioned hi dad had the same email it occured to me that this could be a worldwide virus, and it turns out it is.

The other surprising news was that i was informed by my e-mail anti virus software that i was infected with the virus, even though i never opened it up.

I'm currently looking for a way to kill it so if anyone knows where i can download a free virus killer software that kills this particular virus it would be greatly appreciated.

In the mean time, anyone who is on my address list (Bloodshot is one) you should be receiving more viruses soon, due to the fact that the bastard of a thing re-sends itself out to everyone on my address list.

Cheers.

Most people kind of figure out any virus that people learn about all over the world quickly IS a worldwide virus.

I also have got 2 in about a week.....they infect your system the second the letter comes into your box but I have a virus scan so it stopped it.

From Microsoft:

Incorrect MIME Header Can Cause IE to Execute E-mail Attachment

Originally posted: March 29, 2001

Summary

Who should read this bulletin: Customers using Microsoft® Internet Explorer.

Impact of vulnerability: Run code of attacker’s choice.

Recommendation: Customers using IE should install the patch immediately.

Affected Software:

Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01

Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5

Note: Internet Explorer 5.01 Service Pack 2 is not affected by this vulnerability.

The note at the end is an important lesson. Anyone who regularly installs WindowsUpdate critical updates cannot get this virus automatically. They would have to open the attachment in order to be infected. The MS bulletin is almost 8 months old.

They can send me viruses all they want...I have about 10 in quarantine......the viruses can dance all they want on that prison area of my hard drive.