Sign in to follow this  
mbuhr

ATI Radeon 64 MB DDR vs ATI Radeon 8500

I have the first, and was wondering if there is any reason to upgrade to the second... Alternately, is there another card which would give me a quantum increase in performance which I should be considering?

not really both are fast

my Radeon 32 meg DDR is fine and runs OFP full detail in 1600x1200 res with a Athlon 1.4 ghz

only bother to upgrade if you sell your older ATI for 3/4 of what you paid for it

in the mean time it's still in the TOP 5 Vid Cards

tell a freind your selling ect.

I got ATI Radeon 64mb VIVO and im not going to change it just yet.. it does still fare very well.

During the week upgrade CPU to XP 1600+ 1.4ghz smile.gif

Comparing a Radeon64ddr and a 8500 are like night and day in performance.

I picked up a Radeon 7500 after selling my Radeon64ddr for the same price, $200CAN wink.gif

Frame rate and fill rate are much better clocked at 290/230 compared to 183/183. I have my 7500(retail) clocked to 330/260 and it flies!

But the 7500 doesn't support DX8 pixel and vertex shaders, so while I would probably buy it rather than a Radeon-64 I wouldn't see any point in swapping a Radeon-64 for it unless I could get one for the same price. And there's not that much point in upgrading to a Radeon-8500 either until more games come out using the DX8-specific features.

yea and letting prices drop a bit

i was talking to a friend in the netherlands and he said the radeons are allot more then the Gf3s out there

that blew my mind since the 7500 is cheap

(Edited by RN Malboeuf at 4:50 pm on Dec. 22, 2001)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from MrLaggy on 4:45 pm on Dec. 22, 2001

But the 7500 doesn't support DX8 pixel and vertex shaders, so while I would probably buy it rather than a Radeon-64 I wouldn't see any point in swapping a Radeon-64 for it unless I could get one for the same price. And there's not that much point in upgrading to a Radeon-8500 either until more games come out using the DX8-specific features.<span id='postcolor'>

That's the point of purchasing the 7500. By the time 'most games' have PS 1.1-1.4 support I'll have a new Radeon 9500LE 128meg wink.gif