Sign in to follow this  
Nic

Boat to have spinning prop

I have a boat with a prop...and i was hoping to have it spin the way props spin on a heli. At the moment I just have it set as a "radar" so it spins...but just not the way id really like it to.

I ve heard of using eventhandler "engine" somehow, to trigger it to start when the engine starts...but im not sure exactly how it works. Could someone explain this to me? Or give an example code?  That would be sweet...and thanks in advance!

well, to use them, first you need to add this bit of code within the class of your boat:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">class eventhandlers

{

engine="[_this select 0] exec ""\youraddonfolder\propeller.sqs"";"

};

Then you need to edit your model:

- select your propeller and make a new selection called "propeller"

- go into memory, and create two vertices for its axis and create a selection called "prop_axis"

(for more info on this go to HERE)

- save and close Oxygen

then go back to your config.cpp and add this bit of code above the eventhandler:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">class Animations

{

class propeller

{

type="rotation";

animPeriod=1;

selection="propeller";

axis ="prop_axis";

angle0=0;

angle1=300000;

};

};

youre done with the config file.

- now, in the same folder as your addon, create a (text) file called propeller.sqs

- then copy and paste this code into the file:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">; Based off [SZ]Vladimir's dragonwarrior rotor animation script

_boat1 = this select 0

#main

If ( not alive _boat1 ) then {exit}

@(isengineon _boat1)

#loop

If ( (_boat1 animationPhase "propeller") == 0) then {_boat1 animate["propeller",1]}

If ( (_boat1 animationPhase "propeller") == 1) then {_boat1 animate["propeller",0]}

~0.001

If ( (alive _boat1) && (isengineon _boat1) ) then {goto "loop"}

goto "main"

save and compile your addon, and your propeller should work

If I'm missing anything, please correct me

Just that I don't see how that will do continuious animations (spinning)

I there with ya bratty, it doesn't seem like it would do the continous animation, but I've seen the dragon warrior do it... not sure how it works...

one question though.. the script is called everytime the engine is turned on... so couldn't you just exit the script instead of going back to the "main" loop

that way the @(isengine on) is not causing your cpu to check every 0.5 seconds for if the engine is on

Right...seeing the 1 second animation period defined in the animation,it would be a slow animation if it worked

But calling it every .001 and keep switching from 1 to 0 like that isnt gonna rotate it.Its not gonna work in that example

Look at the Pak36 towable artillery to see how I did continous animation.Similiar way also in use on the wheels of my plane thats not released yet.

You need a fast animation period:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

class Animations

{

class propeller

{

type="rotation";

animPeriod=.0001;

selection="propeller";

axis ="prop_axis";

angle0=0;

angle1=300000;

};

};

And then increment it little by little:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

; Based off BraTTy's Pak towing script

_boat = this select 0

#cycle

~.001

_aphase = _aphase + .02

_boat animate ["propeller", _aphase]

? _aphase >= 1 : _aphase = 0

? ! isengineon _boat: exit

goto "cycle"

You can even get fancy and make a formula to make it spin faster depending on speed,but that wouldn't be necessary for a prop

angle is 300000, so that means it rotates 300000 radians per second. The script checks if the rotation is complete, then if it is, it rotates it again.

BTW, has anyone actually tried out this script? rock.gif

Because I haven't, but I'm just curious tounge_o.gif

Ahh I see ...and oops I also left that 300000 animation radius

Should be angle1=-6.2831853072;

And no I havent tried that addon, been too busy with my own stuff

Oops, my explanation is a bit flawed...

Once the rotation is completed, it rotates backwards, then once thats complete, it rotates forewards again (it goes so fast you can't tell the difference), and goes on and on...

hehe - whoa sweet - i totally forgot about this thread haha

Thanks for the help you guys!! Ive since updated it to use animation to spin..but the way I was doing it wasnt that great. Ill try this way out as soon as i get a chance!  Thanks again

smile_o.gif