Sign in to follow this  
Raining6

Help with CBA3 simple "Hello World!" mod

I have followed this guide on making the most simple mod possible - displaying "Hellow world!" in Arma 3. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/armadev/comments/hzcnb3/tutorial_creating_a_simple_mod_following_the_cba/

Firstly, the guide is 3 years old and I wonder if it is still relevant. 

Second, there is an important typo in the guide in the "XEH_preStart/preInit/postInit" section - the author confuses all three.

Third, when following the "Building the addon" section my Pbo project 3.57 throws errors  like:

Spoiler

Author:
Spooner
------------------------------------------- */
#ifdef DEBUG_MODE_FULL

#define LOG(MESSAGE) LOG_SYS('LOG',MESSAGE)
#define LOG_1(MESSAGE,ARG1) LOG(FORMAT_1(MESSAGE,ARG1))
#define LOG_2(MESSAGE,ARG1,ARG2) LOG(FORMAT_2(MESSAGE,ARG1,ARG2))
#define LOG_3(MESSAGE,ARG1,ARG2,ARG3) LOG(FORMAT_3(MESSAGE,ARG1,ARG2,ARG3))
#define LOG_4(MESSAGE,ARG1,ARG2,ARG3,ARG4) LOG(FORMAT_4(MESSAGE,ARG1,ARG2,ARG3,ARG4))
#define LOG_5(MESSAGE,ARG1,ARG2,ARG3,ARG4,ARG5) LOG(FORMAT_5(MESSAGE,ARG1,ARG2,ARG3,ARG4,ARG5))
#define LOG_6(MESSAGE,ARG1,ARG2,ARG3,ARG4,ARG5,ARG6) LOG(FORMAT_6(MESSAGE,ARG1,ARG2,ARG3,ARG4,ARG5,ARG6))
#define LOG_7(MESSAGE,ARG1,ARG2,ARG3,ARG4,ARG5,ARG6,ARG7) LOG(FORMAT_7(MESSAGE,ARG1,ARG2,ARG3,ARG4,ARG5,ARG6,ARG7))
#define LOG_8(MESSAGE,ARG1,ARG2,ARG3,ARG4,ARG5,ARG6,ARG7,ARG8) LOG(FORMAT_8(MESSAGE,ARG1,ARG2,ARG3,ARG4,ARG5,ARG6,ARG7,ARG8))

#else

#define LOG(MESSAGE) /* disabled */

***warning***:Argument 'MESSAGE' is not used in macro LOG
warnings are errors

Any help would be appreciated!

Here is a solution:

Create a file structure "a Hello World mod\addons\HW_hello_world" in some folder -Desktop or My Documents, etc. Inside the "HW_hello_world" folder, create 3 files - with the following code inside each one:

$PBOPREFIX$.txt 

prefix=HW_hello_world;

config.cpp

class CfgPatches
{
class HW_hello_world
{
	units[] = {};
	weapons[] = {};
	requiredVersion = 1.0;
	requiredAddons[] = {"Extended_EventHandlers"};

};
};

class Extended_PostInit_EventHandlers
{
 HW_hello_world_Post_Init = "HW_hello_world_Post_Init_Var = [] execVM ""\HW_hello_world\YourScript.sqf""";
};

YourScript.sqf

hint "Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii World!";

Download PboManager https://github.com/winseros/pboman3 and install it. Select the "HW_hello_world" folder, right click it, select PBO Manager, select "pack as HW_hello_world.pbo". The mod is done. 

Download and install CBA A3 from the Arma 3 Workshop.

Run Arma 3, click Mods, activate CBA A3. Click Select Local Mods, navigate to your "a Hello World mod" folder and select it. Run any mission in the game/editor and you will see the "Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii world!" greeting. 

Adjust the mod to your liking with other scripts and objects.

Sit back and marvel at the possibilities.