Sign in to follow this  
Lone Penguin

Functional VOR for aviation ?

Hello,

I spotted a VOR antenna next to Everon's airport, and I was asking myself if it was just there for the looks or if it was planned to be functional in upcoming updates or Arma 4.

I'm asking because it's the first time I see this asset in Arma, and due to the fact that we are in 1989 (so still no GPS in the army if what I read is right ?), I was wondering if there will be some kind of simple navigation systems for aircrafts to navigate in bad weather.

I know we are not in Microsoft Flight Simulator, and obviously this is a small island with only one runway so probably not necessary but I always find these kind of details and mechanics awesome. ^^

(I learned about VORs in FSX so when I saw it I was, Woo ! I know what this is ! x)

I have to say I really dig this analog era for Arma. Without a position marker on the map it should prove to be really fun and challenging for helos to drop out and pick up troops at night without gps to navigate. There will be more use of flares, flashlights, radio communication and use of time and compass. Really cool ! (Especially with the upcoming electricity mechanic of the island, during a blackout no more city lights for helos to locate themselves in the sky !)