Reboundq3

Arma 3 Server Low CPU utilization

Greetings people of the A3 forums

I've got a server (Dell Poweredge R710) with enough cores and ram for a small business

I've allocated 12 Cores, and 64 GB of ram, but i keep running into a problem with low CPU utilization, for example when i do a stess test in the Ubuntu 18.04 i get over 90% utilization (running in ESXI, so its a VM)
but when i start arma3server and load something like Vindicta i get 8.23% utilization.

I've read something about a headless client that that should fix stuff, but i've got the feeling im doing something wrong in the first place.

Here is a screenshot (http://prntscr.com/111n7fi)

Any Ideas?

What CPUs are they running?, I know with R710s they are quite old now and use the Xeon E , L and X 5000 series right?.

I would imagine if you have a cpu core count of 6 or 8 it may show a lower utilisation as it will probably only use 4 cores maximum (1 core heavily). The % given is of the entire set of cores available across multiple cpus. One of our servers uses two Xeon E5-2690 V2 cpus and due to that being 20 cores total, arma would only use a small percentage of the total cpu time.

Apart from this I would try to look at the server TPS (use '#monitor 1' when logged in as admin ingame) and if it is in the 40s I would say everything is just fine. I would also look at player count and ai count to explain a lower demand on the CPU. You could possibly try using the 64-bit version of arma3server but I doubt it'll make much difference.

Remember arma doesn't care about core count as such, infinitely more important is clock speed and IPC when it comes to performance.