Sign in to follow this  
kkkonge

How to make a crater?

Seems we all would like BIS to implement the ability to modify the terrain (eg. blow holes, dig trenches, add rivers etc.).

Why has no one designed a crater yet?

Ever played Ghost Recon? In one of the missions, you're supposed to guard a single NATO tank from rebels with AT weapons. The battlefield is sprinkled with craters from the nearby artillery guns.

Those craters mostly consist of dirt that has been moved a few metres or so by the blast. Thus, the 'hole' inside isn't really that deep!

Why haven't anyone designed a small series of craters in this way? That is, make a realistic looking crater from the same principles as the trenches at 'fortress-ofp.com'.

It wouldn't take that much effort, since no animation is really necessary; an explosion itself would probably disguse the sudden placement of the crater. One could add smoke to the crater, if one wants to (just modify the fires done by CAT).

I'm not doing this myself, due to lack of modelling skills. But now it is out there...

i triwd everithing allready smile.gif

but it wont work, it works only if i put a krate like an addon

smile.gif

here, if it works then good, if it doesnt, so sue me, but open up a wrp world (an addon one) lower the ground level in one area, then put the crater like textures on it, and hopefully it will work.

Guest ####

the easiest way is to make a .p3d file with land textures to blend with the textures used on the map and the charred type textures of a crater, then Binarize it to ODOL format so you can use it in WrpEdit, could also be made into a static object np. These items would have to be preplaced, but would make a battle area vary decorative.

Guest jacobaby

What are the possibilities of creating a "flat" addon, perhaps in the colour of the terrain around it, that when damaged by a shell or whatever deforms in such a way as to resemble a crater?

I think you can add damage textures to an addon, so the crater color isnt a problem, I just dont know how the destroyed model is employed?

Im dreaming of the day when PC's can handle zillions of particles of soil, which can be displaced moved and blown about..................

TJ

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (jacobaby @ Feb. 02 2003,04:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Im dreaming of the day when PC's can handle zillions of particles of soil, which can be displaced moved and blown about..................

TJ<span id='postcolor'>

You won't have to dream too long I don't think, we are probably only 2 or 3 years from something like that.