Sign in to follow this  
Guest BratZ

Newb modeling question

Guest BratZ

Hi,

Sorry to bother you about this,but I am fairly new to modeling.Sorry for the newbie questions.

Bu its obvious that you want to keep your faces down,and I have pre thought and doing well at that.

But I was curious ...is many vertex's also not good?

How many should you have?

K and what I am really getting at is this:

Lets say I make a double plane(2 faces) Is it better to merge the 8 vertex's?

It seems to change the texture in a way ,im not sure,just was wondering ifthat is good,or on outer faces,do you want merged vertex's,as it seems there may be a chance of the inner face showing?

Many thanx ahead of time,again sorry,I do have common sense, but just was curious if high vertex's is as bad as many faces

I don't think there will be any changes to performance if you add vertices (since they will not be rendered) but the number of polygons in your model DOES affect performance. My suggestion is to keep the polygon level at least below 1500 and don't worry about the vertices.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hobo Sniper @ Jan. 04 2003,19:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My suggestion is to keep the polygon level at least below 1500 and don't worry about the vertices.<span id='postcolor'>

That would depend on what kind of model he's making. The community stanard for the maximum polys is apparently 4500 in the first Res-LOD.

And vertices are can be more important then polygons... especialy on wheels and parts wich are in game transformed (rotated etc)...

Guest BratZ

Great thanx for the advice..I am currently about 1275 faces and I only have a few parts to go (cockpit details)

I dont expect to go over 2000 at all

And the normal LOD isnt going to show all the details of the dash and such anyways,So I think I am ok

The HULL is and inner and outter body,thats the part I was curious if I should merge the vertex's

I am making a Airplane and the wheels arent in a position to save any vertex and I made them low face already,also...

I can't find any plane lately with wheels that turn.The few models I have looked at the wheels don't turn (OV Bronco,A10)

Thanx alot guys,so sorry to trouble you with simple model stuff,the next questions will be serious ,LOL

Progress on the model is going great,I have it in game and things are going ok

depending on what u call a face wink.gif u can have squre and triangular faces, a square face is the same as two triangles so u can have two identical models one made up of triangular faces and one made of square faces and the one with the squares will obviosly have twice as less polys