Sign in to follow this  
ShadowSix

Shadow's Skins for Firewill's F-14 Tomcat Standalone

Ur2Ihv2.png

Hello folks,

I'm proud to announce the public release of my skins for Firewill's F-14 Tomcat Standalone addon. I hope you enjoy them!

It started as a bit of fun for my friends that play Arma 3 who have an interest in aviation, and customising their own aircraft so they had one to call "their own".

I started watching the JAG TV series again, and thought, "What a good idea! I could create Harm's F-14."

So, a bit of background:

In Season 5 of the TV military court drama "JAG", United States Navy Lieutenant Commander Harmon Rabb, Jr, regains active flight status. As seen in the first episode (5x01 "King of the Greenie Board"), he is posted to the (fictitious) Fighter Squadron VF-218 "Raptors" aboard the (again, fictitious) U.S.S. Patrick Henry. Upon arrival to the squadron, he was given the unglamorous callsign "Pappy", as he was an older aviator than most in the squadron, and it was his second time being designated as a line officer and naval aviator.

During a reconnaissance mission over Kosovo, Harm's wingman was carrying the TARPS pod, and was battle damaged on their photo pass. His wingman's F-14 was damaged to a degree where they were losing airspeed and could not keep the aircraft aloft. Harm had his wingman extend their arrestor (tail) hook of his aircraft, and using the windshield of his own Tomcat, Harm succeeded in pushing the stricken F-14 to the point where the aircrew could make a "Feet Wet" ejection, and their safe rescue.

After carrying out this feat and returning to the U.S.S. Patrick Henry, the CAG had informed the squadron aircrew of Harm's father, who was shot down on Christmas Eve of 1969 in an F-4J Phantom II. They presented Harm with his helmet, saying "You're far too young to have the callsign 'Pappy'!" His helmet had a piece of tape over "Pappy" and was handwritten his father's callsign, "Hammer".

This skin is in homage to a wonderful TV series, which highlighted the F-14 Tomcat's stardom back into mainstream again, nearly ten years after the movie "Top Gun". There is some creative detailing of the Squadron tail art, as the squadron is fictitious, but I think it will suffice rather well.

XQ7KlH2.jpg

oZQ7mb8.jpg

d6WeoQZ.jpg

BONUS:

Included are the customised F-14A Tomcats, that have the pilot's names and callsigns visible. They are:

VF-1 Wolfpack (1987 era, aboard U.S.S. Ranger)

5nk1tQX.jpg

VF-41 Black Aces (1981 era, aboard U.S.S. Nimitz)

81bz7kE.jpg

VF-142 Ghostriders (1985 era, aboard U.S.S. Dwight D Eisenhower)

YLUVE86.jpg

DOWNLOAD:

Available in the Steam Workshop here.

• Thanks 1