Sign in to follow this  
Oberon3d

200k?.....

Hi.

I have read that to make a model from max to O2 the best guideline for polycount is to keep the 3Ds file under 200k.

Well I'm making a model with 4500 polys so far, Still some things to be done and it is 51k when I export it to 3Ds.

I guess that the 200k are for all the LODs and stuff but as they are not as detailed as the main model this could mean that we could have a 12000 polys model...

I'm not planinig to go that far but is that 200k "limit" correct?

Cheers smile.gif

absolutely not

keep track of your poly count, it is different in every resolution LOD

but I aim at something like 2500 - 3500 polys in a vehicle in the lowest (number) resolution. Go for 500 - 1200 for the same LOD in a weapon.

I posted the 200K file size figure, and it is purely based on my experimental observations of importing .3ds meshes into O2.

It has nothing to do with the size of the .p3d file which you then produce within O2.

Prospero

Cool then.

Anyway another question is....can you have the same poly in two diferent LODs?.

This could mean... do you have to make two diferent models of ...let's say the cannon... as it's going to be seen by someone outside the vehicle (in the outside model) and the driver (in the driver view) .

Cheers smile.giftounge.gif

Normally you can, but your performance in game is slower.

That's better to make not every LOD at the same number of poly.

imagine render at 7 miles (5000 poly) and 7 feet (5000 poly) ups hugz krrrrrr...

yes I understand you but what I mean right now is not the poly count. What I mean is...

If you model a steering wheel for the outside model... can you select that very same wheel for the driver view?

Cheers smile.gif